10 Year Stock Chart - 1107 - Learn Excel Podcast

If you like this content, please consider visiting the video on YouTube and subscribe to the MrExcel Channel to show your support!
This video has been published on Sep 23, 2009.
John asks how to take 10 years worth of stock data and convert it to a chart showing months across the bottom and a different line for each year. Episode 1107 shows you how.

This blog is the video podcast companion to the book, Learn Excel 97-2007 from MrExcel. Download a new two minute video every workday to learn one of the 377 tips from the book!
maxresdefault.jpg

Transcript of the video:
Hey, welcome back to the MrExcel netcast. I'm Bill Jelen.
Basically, you start out with massive amount of data, so how we're gonna analyze this.
Well, let's fire up the Pivot Table and see you can solve this problem.
Hey, welcome back to the MrExcel netcast. I'm Bill Jelen.
Boil a Pivot Table question today, setting by John, John has the live lessons DVD and he has a [ strand ] from his ten years worth of stock, did it here.
And he wants 1 chart that shows the months going across the bottom and each year as a different line.
I think, we can do this with a Pivot Table, Insert Pivot Table, click OK and here's what I'm gonna do, I'm gonna put initially the Dates, going down the left-hand side and then, we'll choose something, let's go with High as the values.
Now I'm gonna change that from Sum to Max, that we see the highest for each month, we're gonna get the Months here in a 2nd, so I'll come here in my Date field, I'm gonna choose Group field and say that I wanna group this up to Months and Years and so I'll get exactly 1 point now for each month and year and now what's really cool, when we group a Date, up to two different fields, is Excel makes it be, two virtual fields in the Pivot Table field list, that allows us to take those fields and for example take Years and move it to column labels, which gets us, our years going across, our Months going down.
Now let's get rid of the grand total, so we come here and uncheck both grand total's for rows grand totals per columns, click OK and then finally we're going to create a Chart from this.
I'm gonna go back to Insert Chart, choose a Line Chart, like that and there we have it, so, we have the various years, from 1999 to 2008 as separate lines and then the various months, so, it started back here in 1999, went up and then in 2000, big crash and has just been kind of cruising along here, the whole time, so there's one way, to take that data, a daily level or a weekly level, roll it up to months and then years and then create a Chart from that one.
Thanks John, for sending that question.
I wanna thank you for stopping by. See you next time for another netcast from MrExcel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Honeymonster123

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back