1004 Application-defined or object-defined error

knewingham1

When opening a blank excel workbook I receive the error "1004 Application-defined or object-defined error". I press OK. And the message appears 2 more times before I am able to work in Excel. Doesn't matter what excel file I am opening, does the same thing. I do not know how to lookup programming code for any macros I am running. I would like to get rid of this error! It is a nusance.

Please help!

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Hi knewingham1,

Welcome to the board.

You might have a personal.xls workbook that opens when you open Excel.

When you are in Excel, right click over a worksheet tab name, then select View Code. In the Visual Basic Window, look in the Project window to see if there is a project called "Personal.xls" and if so, the code in that project might be causing the error.

Upvote 0
There are 3 projects that appear when I go into "View Code." One is labeled VBA Project (Book 1). The other 2 have passwords to them and I am not able to get into them to see how they are setup. I have created a word document with the printscreen, although I am not sure how I can relay that file.
<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 1062pt; HEIGHT: 418.5pt" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata cropright="-2731f" o:title="" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\kln\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.png"></v:imagedata></v:shape>

Upvote 0
Is there any code in VBA Project (Book1)?

Look in the thisworkbook code, and each of the sheet code.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
In the VBAProject (Book1) there is nothing in the right box. To the left bottom there are 2 tabs that say Alphabetic and Categorized. The tabs have lots of true/false answers, and a password.

I can't get into the other two macro codes because they are password protected.

It seems as if my current workbook is using the VBAProject code. I am not sure why it would even use that because it is just a blank workbook.

Upvote 0
What do you mean you see 2 boxes that say Alphabetic and Categorized? Are those worksheets that have code? Where/what are the true and false questions? Is this the code? This might be what is causing your error.

Another thing you can check is in the VBA Project Book1, is there a module? If so, expand it (click on the +) then double click on the module so if there is any code you will be able to view it. If there is not a module, then expand the Microsoft Excel Objects (click on the +) then double click on each worksheet, and on "This Workbook" until you see code.

Upvote 0
When I right click on a worksheet tab then press view code, Microsoft Visual Basic appears. In the top left hand corner there are 3 modules. The top two, if expanded, require a password - that I do not have. The third one is automatically expanded (VBAProject Book 1). Under VBAProject it has 4 separate items: Sheet 1, Sheet 2, Sheet 3 and Thisworkbook.

The two boxes I am referring to are under Properties on the left side of the screen.

Sheet 1 reads as follows:

Name: Sheet1
Displaypagebreaks:False
Displayrighttoleft:False
Enableautofilter:False
EnableCalculation:True
EnableOutlining:False
EnablePiviotTable:False
EnableSelection:0 - xlNoRestrictions
Name:Sheet1
ScrollArea:
StandardWidth:8.43
Visible:-1 - xlSheetVisible

Sheet 2 and 3 are the same as Sheet1.

ThisWorkbook reads:
(Name):ThisWorkbook
AcceptLabelsInFormulas:False
AutoUpdateFrequency:0
ChangeHIstoryDuration:0
ConflictResolution:1 - xlUserResolution
Date1904:False
DisplayDrawingObjects:-4104 - xlDisplayShapes
DisplayInkComments:True
EnableAutoRecover:True
EnvelopeVisible:False
HasRoutingSlip:False
HighlightChangesOnScreen:False
InactiveListBorderVisible:True
IsAddin:False
KeepChangeHistory:True
ListChangesOnNewSheet:False
Password:********
PersonalViewListSettings:True
PersonalViewPrintSettings:True
PrecisionAsDisplayed:False
ReadOnlyRecommended:False
RemovePersonalInformation:False
Saved:True
SaveLinkValues:True
ShowConflictHistory:False
ShowPivotTableFieldList:True
TemplateRemoveExtData:False
UpdateLinks:1 - xlUpdateLinksUserSetting
UpdateRemoteReferences:True
WritePassword:********

There isnt anything on the right hand side of the screen at all in any of these items.

Upvote 0
Ok, that is just the properties window. Since you don't see any code, lets try something else. Instead of clicking "OK" when you get the error, click the "Debug" button. It should take you to the source of the problem. Post back with the results.

Upvote 0
hmmmm. I am stumped. I am thinking that you should try to re-install Excel to see if this will solve it. Unless anyone else has any ideas.... Good luck!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back