2 file extensions on one file

wilster98

Where I work, we have varying levels of computer skill. We create reports in Excel. Every once in a while, I'll find a file with 2 extensions (e,g MyFile.xlsx.xls). I'm thinking this could be a problem. Is there a potential problem with using 2 extensions?

TIA
Willy

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
The current Excel file format follows the .xlsx format vs. the old .xls format. Having the .xls at the end means that when you open the file in Excel, if you have a current, or current as of Excel 2007, some features of the new file format will be lost.

To avoid this, you can just delete the .xls at the end of your file name, i.e., MyFile.xlsx.

Upvote 0
Simply deleting the .xls from the end will not change the file format and will actually cause an error message saying that the file format does not match the extension.

You actually can't have two extensions - anything prior to the last one is just part of the file name and has no particular meaning to Excel or Windows.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrauni

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back