2 possible solutions, 0 clue help requested :)

ellmason

Hi Guys and Gals,

first post wondering if you can help! I am trying to use a lookup to lookup a name of a student in a list of students and return some information from a table about the students. I can of course complete this task with a =lookup(etc) function. what i would ideally like to do however is return the result (from the lookup vector) as a comment in a cell (so that a big result i.e. lots of text does not wreck the sheet.
e.g

A1 B1
John Smith Yes

So i want to lookup John Smith in the table see that there is an entry (i.e. "yes") and instead of returning the info in C1 just add it as a comment to cell B1.
Hope that makes sense

The other option as i see it would be if i could use the idea of dependant cells i.e. in a cell to have =another cell, but to retain the comments of the precendant cell on the dependant cell.
e.g. if A1= blah blah *hello* where *hello* is a comment... and i say D1=A1 can i make it return the *hello* as well as the blah blah.
or as a worse but possible solution if i had
A1= blah blah as a hyperlink to another document, could my D1=A1 cell display blah blah as a hyperlink?

thanks guys,
sorry to ramble...
Ell

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
not really sure what you're trying to acheive, heres a stab at it but I suspect it's not what you want. Rather than having Yes in B2 and looking that up, you could have it elswhere and "join" your lookup value with the result something like i've done

Excel Workbook
ABCD
1TakenExams
2John Smithyes MathsyesMaths
3noEnglish
4noHistory
5noFrench
Sheet1

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply mate, that would be a great solution if the detail (in your example "maths") was a small or one word detail, however i am looking at a much longer detail something in the order of a paragraph of text. To give you a flavour of what i am trying to achieve, i a student has a particular learning need then it wil display yes in column B2, the detail would then be a desrciption of the specific need, if i directly import the text (from another worksheet) it would totally disrupt the layout of the rest of the sheet, thats why i thought the comment or hyperlink idea would allow a better solution.

Thanks very much for having a think for me:biggrin:
Ell

Upvote 0
Not sure if I understand your question exactly, but would this help?

If A1 had John Smith and B1 had Yes, then C1 would return a hyperlink to A1.

Is that right?

Upvote 0
Hi mate, sort of but more like if a1 = john smith and b1 = yes, then C1 would return a hyperlink to the john smith entry in row B of another worksheet.
Ell

Upvote 0
Is that other worksheet the place where B1 would say Yes?

Upvote 0
So again. Sheet1 and Sheet2. Sheet one has John Doe in A1. You want to look for John Doe in Sheet2, column A; and if, in the cell right next to it, (Column B), it says YES, you'd like cell B1 on Sheet1 to return a hyperlink to A1 on Sheet2. Correct?

Question: If it doesn't say yes, can it have anything else in it? Or will it be empty otherwise?

Another question: Will there be any duplicate John Doe entries on Sheet2?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back