2 Questions: Add-ins and Formula Tool-tips

BiGMaN

I've got two questions related to an Add-in that I'm trying to make for some co-workers.

1. I've got a workbook with a number of functions that use a set of data on a worksheet (Sheet 1). When I save this workbook as an add-in and install it, the functions are no longer able to access the data that was on Sheet1. The size of the file changes very little when I save as a add-in, so I assume the Sheet1 data is still there... Is there a way to convert this workbook to an add-in while retaining the data (or ability to access the data) that is on the worksheet?

2. The main function that I've designed in the above mentioned workbook has some optional inputs that are not readily apparent. I would like to replicate the tool-tip behavior of the built-in excel functions (i.e. the tool tip that appears and gives a description of each input required for the function). Is there a way to do this for a user defined function?

I've searched for a long time on both subjects above. Perhaps I've not stumbled upon the magic terminology that will result in an answer.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
For 1, how are you referring to the worksheet in code?
For 2, see this article by MVP Jan Karel Pieterse.
HTH

Upvote 0
You need to specify the workbook and worksheet otherwise you are defaulting to the active workbook/sheet. Use:
Code:
ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Range("range_name")

Upvote 0
Glad to help. Jan Karel has a lot of great articles on his site and some excellent free utilities (if you don't already have his Name Manager add-in, I strongly recommend it!)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back