2007 text to date - entire sheet

amirf

Hi,
I have a data sheet which has one date column.
I formatted the entire column to be in date format.
Then, for some reason, I opened the sheet and got all the column as text. for examle: 30/04/2014 shows as 41759. i tried re-formatting the cells and the column, but nothing helps, it stills shows the dates as text. + when i double click the cell, it show in normal date format. i thought my entire excel rules changed some how, but other excel fiels, or new ones behave normally.
can anyone tell me what went wrong and how to fix it?
thanks a lot!
Amir

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
OK, if the cell where you have the date has the "text marker" in the cell, here's what you can do to make the cell not "text" and then reformat it to your date. In the cell next to the first "text" cell (lets say your "text" date is in column/cell A1, put your curser in B1) enter the formula =A1*1 and hit enter. These should turn your text "41759" back into general format and you should be able to reformat it as your date. Give it a try.

Upvote 0
hi britsgal,
thank you for your reply!
I tried your suggested solution, but it does not work
looks like excel regards all cells as text
putting the formula in the required cell results in the cell showing the formula, not it's result. i also tried entering =2*2 expecteing the cell to display 4, but it remains 2*2
what happened to my sheet??
thanks!

Amir

Upvote 0
hi britsgal,
thank you for your reply!
I tried your suggested solution, but it does not work
looks like excel regards all cells as text
putting the formula in the required cell results in the cell showing the formula, not it's result. i also tried entering =2*2 expecteing the cell to display 4, but it remains 2*2
what happened to my sheet??
thanks!

Amir

with your cursor on the cell where it says 2*2 go to the data tab, then text to columns, select delimited and click finish. This will stop it from being text and you then should be able to copy the formula down.

Upvote 0
with your cursor on the cell where it says 2*2 go to the data tab, then text to columns, select delimited and click finish. This will stop it from being text and you then should be able to copy the formula down.
i'm sorry, but this does not help either.. ):

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ijat

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back