2Bill+ Row Merge - Memory Error

SuperNerd

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have 2 tables I have unpivoted so I can merge them together. 1 has 1mil+ rows, the other has 4mil+. I am trying to merge the queries so I can then take it into Power Pivot and run more complex operations. However, I'm getting Memory errors when I try to load it into the Data Model (which, I guess you have to do in order to use Power Pivot?) I can actually get the queries to merge in Power Query, but when I close/load to the data model- it doesn't work.

I'm using 64-Bit Excel 365 on an i7 w/ 16GB ram, SSD and saving on a NAS over the network.

Here's the query:
let
Source = EntryCombos,
#"Unpivoted Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(Source, {"COMBONUMBER"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
#"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Unpivoted Columns",{"Attribute"}),
#"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Removed Columns", {"Value"}, IndAllUnPivoted, {"Value"}, "IndAllUnPivoted", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
#"Removed Columns1" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Merged Queries",{"Value"}),
#"Expanded IndAllUnPivoted" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Columns1", "IndAllUnPivoted", {"INDEX"}, {"INDEX"})
in
#"Expanded IndAllUnPivoted"

Here's the error (it won't let me copy/paste, so I got a screenshot of it...

I have tried MANY different approaches (rebooting, restarting excel, loading the source files into the data model, NOT loading them into the model, etc- nothing works). Any ideas of what I can do?

Thank you!

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
or try to run windows in a safe mode then try to load transformed tables into Data Model

Upvote 0
btw. for Data Model number of rows for each table cannot exceed ca. 2000000000 ( 1999999997 )
so just in case count rows after unpivoting and merge

Last edited:
Upvote 0
ok- I believe that's the problem. It loads beyond 2.1B rows, and then crashes/errors. So, do I need to cut my tables in 1/2, do the merges, then load the results separately and append in Power Pivot after? Can you even do that in power pivot?

Upvote 0
It's up to you what you will do
It seems the data model is the source of the problem

I loaded over 25 mil rows (25402030) into the Power Query and it works well, slow but works (4.5 GB) :)
with Data Model it says: Limited to 2 GB

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back