2nd and 3rd Modes for Text (not number) entries

Excelina1234

Hi All,

I'm trying to find the top 3 most frequently used *words* in a column on my spreadsheet.

Although I can easily find the #1 most frequent word, Top 1, (using Index, Mode, Match), I am stuck when it comes to the top 2 and top 3.

The idea is that I want the formulas for Top 2 and Top 3 to be similar to the "Index, Mode, Match" I am using for Top 1 in the sense that all that they require is one cell with the formula to calculate the results for the chosen range.

For your reference, here is the formula I am using for Top 1:

=INDEX(A1:A10,MODE(MATCH(A1:A10,A1:A10,0)))

Thank you for your help!

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
This CSE formula will return the 2nd most frequent text in the range A1:A8.
Note that there can be no blanks in A1:A8

=INDEX(A:A,MOD( LARGE((MATCH(A1:A8,A:A,0)=ROW(A1:A8))*COUNTIF(A:A,A1:A8)+ROW(A1:A8)/100, 2),1)*100,1)

The MATCH()=ROW() is there to consider only the first occurance of each string.

Upvote 0
Thanks but this formula doesn't seem to work. It picks out the #1 most frequent entry (i.e. it's a complicated version of the formula above). Any chance you know how to fix this? Thanks!

Upvote 0
I did, yes! Just realised my mistake (hadn't used A!:A and always used A1:A8). Any chance you could help me find top 3 as well? I just dont understand the top 2 formula well enough in order to be able to create it for top 3. Thanks a lot!

Upvote 0
Ok, I actually managed (replaced 2 with 3 in the formula). Any chance you could help me make the formula slightly more specific?

Essentially, I want to find the top 2 and top 3 for a particular category. For example: If there are two categories - cats and dogs - I want to see the top 2 and top 3 pedigrees for each category.

I can do the formula for the top 1 (below). However, since I don't understand your formula for top 2 and top 3 (all I know is that it works!), is there a chance you could help me refine it accordingly? Thanks so much!

=INDEX(Pedigree,MODE(IF(Category="Cat",MATCH(Category&Pedigree,Category&Pedigree,0))))

Also, if you have time and could more or less explain how the top 2 and top 3 formulas work, that would be incredible! Thanks so much!

Upvote 0
Just add another filtering term to (MATCH(A1:A8,A:A,0)=ROW(A1:A8))*COUNTIF(A:A,A1:A8)+ROW(A1:A8)/100

something like
(B1:B8="Cat)*(MATCH(A1:A8,A:A,0)=ROW(A1:A8))*COUNTIF(A:A,A1:A8)+ROW(A1:A8)/100

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back