3 IF Possibilities, 2 Outcomes

c.clavin

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
Hi guys, I don't know why this is driving me so crazy, but I'm trying to nest 3 IF statements (if that's what I should even be doing) And its not working. This is my formula below. It shouldn't be crazy hard but I am crazy stupid. Please if you can offer any help I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

=IF(A30=“WEST”,E30,IF(A30=“CENTRAL”,D30,IF(A30=“EAST”,E30)))

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
There's nothing wrong with the formula you coded. If A30 isn't any of those values, you'll get FALSE since you didn't define the FALSE option in the last IF. Other than that, it should work. What are you getting? There are other options with lookup functions too, it just depends on your sheet.

Upvote 0
It's giving me a #NAME? error. The cell I'm referencing is the product of a VLOOKUP. Would that create an error? I don't know how to make a VLOOKUP and IF pair together in the same formula so I broke it apart

Upvote 0
Oh, I see the problem! You're using the wrong double quote symbol. Try:

Excel Formula:
=IF(A30="WEST",E30,IF(A30="CENTRAL",D30,IF(A30="EAST",E30)))

Upvote 0
Wow that worked Thanks! How do I avoid that from happening next time? I thought they were all the same

Upvote 0
How did you enter the formula? I thought that the keyboard would map the " symbol to what Excel expects. Some word processing software will automatically change it in order to make it look better. Did you write the formula in Word, then copy it to Excel? If you typed it on the keyboard, and still got the "fancy" double quote, you might need to remap the keyboard. Go to the Windows control panel and it should allow you to do that. If you're on a Mac, I don't know what to tell you.

Upvote 0
I was thinking about it, I may have entered the text of the formula into the Notes app (Mac) which may have reformatted it. I think it did it again today but I caught it. Thanks again for the help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melvetica

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back