32-bit and 64-bit users for same db

CPGDeveloper

Board Regular
Hello~

I administer an MS Access Based DB Application with an Azure SQL Back End. Approximately 25+ End Users.

Each User has a copy of the .accde on their desktop, and I have batch scripts written to copy newer versions of the front end onto their desktop when there is an update.

All of us currently have 32-bit versions of MS Access, with a 64-bit version of Windows 10. However, in the next few months, we will be adding 20+ more users, and many of them will have 64-bit versions of MS Access. And slowly, everyone else will be upgraded, but for quite some time I will have some 32-bit Access Users and some 64-bit Access Users.

I don't see any clever way around this -- I think I would have to manually provide versions to the 64-bit folks, and always have two versions ready for every update. Anyone else experienced something like this?

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
From what I have seen in other forums, there is very little gain to go to 64bit Access.?
You can still install 32bit and not 64bit if the IT dept does not always install the 'latest & greatest'

I can only report what I have read, as I still use 2007 :) in a personal environment.

You could use compiler directives I believe, but you would have to determine how much work is involved with that as opposed to keeping two programs in parallel.

Believe me the latter is not easy to do. I know from when I used to be an analyst programmer and had to do that for the firm I worked for.
For a start it doubles the testing.

Good luck anyway. :)

Upvote 0
Yes, and from what I understand certain vba will have to be re-written for the 64-bit version -- and yes, double the testing. Unfortunately, it's not up to me -- it's happening whether I want it to or not.

Upvote 0
Yes, and from what I understand certain vba will have to be re-written for the 64-bit version -- and yes, double the testing. Unfortunately, it's not up to me -- it's happening whether I want it to or not.
That is what I meant by the compiler directives. One set would use ptrsafe.

Not for the faint hearted, but I believe it only affects API calls? Just how many of those are you using?

Upvote 0
Possibly the 32-bit can be the master. the accdb should be compatible with 64 bit machines. It would only need to be compiled down to an .accde separately on a 64 bit machine. Unless you are using some of those things discussed above that would cause problems (or you find you have problems whatever).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harryls

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back