32 to 64 bit

AlexanderBB

Someone has asked if an App I have can work in their 64 bit Office. (I think it's the online one).

I installed 64 bit office 2010 onto my laptop to find out. Running the xlsm file brings up a pile of problem but I did manage to alter all the Functions to ptrsafe Functions.
Then there are lots of Missing references and these have me stumped. First one is MSCOMCTL.OCX so I locate it in C:\Windows\SysWOW64 and register it with regsvr32. It reports success and 'MISSING' goes away - until I close and reopen the References dialog, where it again shows as MISSING.

Am I doing something wrong, or is there more to it ?
Thanks.

pbornemeier

I googled "64 bit MSCOMCTL.OCX" and found a collection of options to correct similar problems. I am not sure which would be applicable for your situation.
I am running Excel 2010 on Win7. The version of 64 bit MSCOMCTL.OCX that I have is 6.1.98.46 and its reference in the VBE does not become unchecked.

RoryA

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
No version of the Common Controls library will work in 64bit Office.

Not sure what you mean by "the online one", but the online version of Excel will not run VBA at all (and bitness would be irrelevant).

pbornemeier

My apologies I was in error. I had installed Office 2016/64 bit on my home system and removed it due to the (IMHO) poor interface (in the File menu - lack of frequently used folders; overlarge spacing of the Quick Access Toolbar icons & worksheet tabs; removal of the goto first/last tab buttons, etc.) and general instability. When I made my comment in post 2 I was looking at my Office 2010/32 bit installation not the 2016 version taht I use at work.

Some videos you may like

This Week's Hot Topics

• Get External Data (long shot question!)
    This is likely a long shot but I am wondering if it is at all possible for Excel to somehow 'change' the contents of a URL that is being linked to...
  • Importing multiple excel files into one spreadsheet
    Hi, I'm trying to import multiple excel files (with the same format into a single spreadsheet) so that each day's file is listed underneath the...
  • Cell Formatting
    Good Morning, I need to format a few different cells in the following manners: A1 has to always add a colon (:) after whatever is typed in by a...
  • How to copy multiple rows using If
    Hi all, I'm very new to VBA and have written this simple code to copy certain cells if a certain cell within that row contains any data. I need...
  • Workbook_Change stopped working !
    I am working on an app to speed up & automate processing of Credit Cards statements. After data is input from a CSV file, it is presented to the...
  • VBA If statement
    Dear All, I have two dates, where I'd like a message box to pop, if the dates are between this criteria. [CODE] sDate1 = #10/1/2019#...