5-Digit Zip Code

gymwrecker

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
I have over2000 records and all of them have the "9-digit" Zip Code. How can I format them to show only the first five digits? Tried thru Format Cells / Number / Special, but didnt work... Please advise.

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
I have over2000 records and all of them have the "9-digit" Zip Code. How can I format them to show only the first five digits? Tried thru Format Cells / Number / Special, but didnt work... Please advise.
Please clarify... Do you want to physically change the original values from 9 digit zip codes to 5 digit zip codes within the cells containing them? Or do you want display them "format" the cell to simply hide the last 4 digits if they are there (will require VBA code to do)? Or did you simply want to display the 5-digit zip codes in another column (with the intent of maybe hiding the original column)?

Upvote 0
Right, I want to physically change the original values from 9 digit zip codes to 5 digit zip codes within the cells containing them; please advise.

Upvote 0
Right, I want to physically change the original values from 9 digit zip codes to 5 digit zip codes within the cells containing them; please advise.
Assuming the 9-digit zip codes have the standard dash between the first 5 digits and the last 4 digits, do the following. Select the column with your zip codes, press CTRL+H to bring up the Replace dialog box, put -* (that is a dash followed by an asterisk) in the "Find what" field, leave the "Replace with" field empty, click the "Options>>" button and make sure the "Match entire cell contents" checkbox does not have a check mark in it, then click the "Replace All" button.

Upvote 0
Rick, the 9-digit zip codes have no dash... any advise?

Upvote 0
Rick, the 9-digit zip codes have no dash... any advise?
I need to know if your Zip Codes are numbers or text. Select anyone of your zip codes and right-click it, select "Format Cells..." from the popup menu and tell me which Category is selected on the Number tab.

Upvote 0
Well, following ps1's advise, I use =left(a1,5) and each cell is now showing tha formula. The problem I'm having is that since I want to use a VLOOKUP function, the 5-digit zip codes are not showing, and therefore, the Vlookup is not working. How can I make each cell to show the 5-digit zip code instead of =left(a1,5)?

Upvote 0
press ctrl and ' (left apostrophe - mine doesnt work, its the key to the left of the number 1)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ajax40

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back