64 Bit processor, speed excel

Starbucks_33

Hi,

I was testing the speed on 3 computers running an excel macro, then running the same function programmed in vb.net

Excel version = 2002

Computer 1: AMD 2.1 Ghz dual core (64 bit), Vista
Excel = 55 seconds
Vb.net = 16 seconds

Computer 2: Pentium 2.0 Ghz dual core (32 bit), Vista
Excel = 27 seconds
Vb.net = 14 seconds

My question was that Computer 1, was much slower then expected running excel but Vb.net runtime looks what you would expect.

Is this becuase the chip is 64bit, are those slower running excel? Are there excel versions that take can use 64 bit and are they much faster?

Thanks

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
There are currently no 64bit versions of Excel. I am surprised by the variation between the macro run times - did you perform the test multiple times to check for consistency?

Upvote 0
I recall reading articles a couple of years ago about the difference in performance between AMD and Intel proccessors, where the general opinion was that AMD proccessors are better for gaming and leisure use systems, while Intel performs better for business use and useful applications.

Don't know if there is any truth to this, or if performance of the latest proccessors is closer between the 2 brands, but from your results it looks like there could be some truth in this.

Upvote 0
I ran the test about 3 times. I was really surprised that the performance was consistent with Vb.net but not really excel.

I also ran this same test on my laptop, which is 5 years old Pentium M 1.4 Ghz... The excel ran in 43 seconds, but Vb.net ran in about 20 seconds. So on my old laptop Excel was faster then the AMD, but the Vb.net was about 14% slower, which is what you would expect.

Basically the performance of the Vb.net is what you would expect, but excel performance is not.

The reason I rant the test, was because my roomate got a new laptop and he also recently purchased a desktop also.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Faxgirl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back