999 Emergency!! Staring into the abyss of spreadsheet-induced insanity please help!! How to automate changing formula in col C that uses data in col B

CatShapedBeard

Hello!

I just signed up and this place looks like heaven to me right now after hours of sweating and crying over this spreadsheet.

I have data for thousands of people. The people all have a name, listed in column A. Then in column B is the date at which they logged their weight on an app. In column C, there is a formula that calculates for each weight entry how many days since their first entry it was.

So the first person in the list is Admiral Dogbiscuit, for example. Cell B2 has 01/02/2013 in it, the first time he logged his weight. I put 0 in the equivalent cell in column C, as there have been 0 days since the first log, as this is it.

So the formula starts in cell C3 and is like this: =DATEDIF($B2,B3,"d"). So I copy that formula down all the weight entries for Admiral Dogbiscuit, and for each weight entry it gives the number of days since the first entry. Admiral Dogbiscuit's entries finish at A11.

A12 begind Mr Grubblinsk's entries. So I need to enter 0 into C12 and then do the formula again, starting in C13 and copying down until Mr Grubblinsk's entries end, which is where Madame Bouloutflannierre's entries begin. So then I'd have to do it all again, for thousands of people.

Is there any way I can automate this? I'm a fairly inexperienced Excellerator, but I have Googled my little heart out for hours and come up with nothing. I wouldn't bother you if I hadn't already looked thoroughly. It might be very simple and so obvious that no one has ever bothered to write instructions! I have no idea.

If anyone can help me I would be so so so so grateful and would return the favour if there's anything I know about that you don't know about but need to know. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Possibly as an example...

Excel Workbook
ABC
3AAAA01/10/20170
4AAAA02/10/20171
5AAAA03/10/20172
6AAAA04/10/20173
7EEEE01/10/20170
8EEEE02/10/20171
9EEEE03/10/20172
Sheet4

Upvote 0
Ooh, thank you - where does that formula go? I put it in column D or is there something else I should do? Thanks again for helping, I really am a bit new at this!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rkmenon

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back