$A$1 for all

lezawang

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi

I know what $A$1, $A1, A$1 mean. But what I found out that using $A$1 will cover both $A1 or A$1.
So why bother learning when I need to use $A1 or A$1 when $A$1 will take care of both?

Thanks

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
I'm not sure what you mean when you say:
will take care of both
The $ is used to fix the column or row. If you use $A1 in a formula and then copy that formula across row 1, the A will not change. If you use A$1 in a formula and then copy that formula across row 1, the A will change to match the column. If you use $A$1 in a formula and then copy that formula across row 1 and then down a few rows, both the A and the 1 will not change. If you use A1 in a formula and then copy that formula across row 1 and then down a few rows, both the A and the 1 will change. As you can see, the $ makes the column and the row fixed. Without the $, the column and row will change as you copy the formula to another cell or range.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So why bother learning when I need to use $A1 or A$1 when $A$1 will take care of both?
You can probably see by the responses that it does not take care of both. Depending upon how you use the A1 format as absolute or relative reference will determine how your formulas and data are manipulated, calculated and derived. The references are not the same and while you may be able to use one or the other is some cases, you cannot interchange them in all cases. I suggest that you hit the books and really learn what they mean.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaliya13

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back