A better way?

caffeineated

I like to think I'm pretty good with Excel, but I'm having trouble "thinking outside the box" to improve a workbook I created and have been tweaking over the last several months.

My wife works in a job where she is considered an independent contractor. She earns her income based on clients she sees, but the administration part is handled for her and the agreement in place is that she gets paid when the company collects on the billings (insurance, so it can range from a couple of weeks to a couple of months depending on the plan). Being the numbers person in our house, I wanted to track billable clients seen to estimate expected income and actual checks received each month.

tl;dr version: I have a cumbersome workbook to track billable hours/clients seen at different billable rates. Is there an easier way (minimum required monthly maintenance) to compile daily data, billed and lost potential income, and various analytical values?

Long version:

It started simple enough (ha) with a DailyDetail tab where each worked day gets a row and various columns to track how many clients were scheduled, whether they were a new or returning client (different billing rates), and how many were actually seen (vs no-shows or cancellations) to estimate the earned as well as lost potential income on a wasted session/hour.

As things progressed I wanted more and more analytical tools, so I've ended up with a tab breaking down scheduled, billable, and no-shows by calendar week; a tab calculating a handful of analytical percentages by calendar month; a tab summarizing the daily detail into monthly/annual totals; and most recently a tab calculating (recalculating?) actual billings by allocating the clients seen to one of a dozen or so rate tiers (allowing me to blend the different rates into an overall average for more accurate estimation of outstanding billings).

It's all still totally usable, it just feels like it's getting clunky, and it requires a fair amount of maintenance each month - set up 30-ish new rows in the daily detail, update links in the other tabs to accommodate that detail, etc. and I can't help but think there has to be a way to capture all the data and get the analysis tools I'm looking for in an easier way.

I feel like the answer is probably the use of VB/macros, but those are areas where I lack experience. I can make excel work to get the information I need, but I'm not necessarily versed in getting it to work as efficiently as it can.

I know that's a lot of background for what is not a specific "how do I do this" question, but hopefully there's enough here to get a couple of ideas and pointers about what I should look into.

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
it may be better to do it as each row is a job
and then using a pivot table

Date / timespent (hrs) /client / bill rate / amount / show-noshow / amount due / paid

type of thing - database essentially

then you can use a pivot table -
by day / month - date info
by client
Amount due
amount paid

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ruhulaminappu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back