A dependent data validation list

akewander

I have a table in sheet 1 with names and ID's (contains duplicate values). I want to create a data validation list in sheet 2 that allows the user to select the ID and in adjacent cell depending on what value ID was selected to have a list of names corresponding to that ID, so one list is dependent on the selection of the other list.Is this possible?Thanks

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type

Misca

Welcome to the message board!

The dependent data validation lists are quite easy to create using named ranges and the INDIRECT-function.

The easiest way to do it can be seen here.

Here's another tutorial on how to do the same even better.

Both ways work, but the second one allows you to add more data to your source lists later.

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JiNXX9500

This Week's Hot Topics

• Change military grades into rank
    Afternoon all Need help with formula that will change military rank (i.e. 1, 2, 3 into Amn, A1C, SrA). Running IF formula that does not work...
  • VBA COUNTIF SOLUTION
    Hi The following are the errors spread across the several columns from E to Q ie. 13 columns across several sheets with more than 500 rows per...
  • INSERT ROW WITH SPECIFIS TEXT IN A COLUMN
    Hi All! How can identify that that the row to be inserted has to be inserted before 1st row with specific text in column F. If I record the...
  • Auto-Create a monthly Sign in sheet for preschool students
    The image below is what each page looks like. Above is space for the "Child Name" "Month" "Class" School days are obviously Monday-Friday but...
  • VBA vlookup multiple results
    Hi folks, Hopefully someone out there can help. I have a list to vlookup which works (ish). the lookup only picks up the first instance of the...
  • Extract values for earliest/latest times
    I am trying to put together a formula to get the earliest start time, the latest end time from column A for each person in Column B-F without the...