A fix for counting empty cells!

ronofcam

Excel%20capture.JPG
Hi all,

I couldn't see a fix for this after doing a few forum searches, so I'm hoping you fine people can help.

Excel%20capture.JPG
In column T of this spreadsheet I have put a formula in [ =(COUNTA($E6,$H6,$K6,$N6,$Q6)-COUNTIF(E6:S6,0))/COUNTA($E6,$H6,$K6,$N6,$Q6) ] which counts the amount of times text is populated in cells E6, H6, K6, N6 and Q6. Or, in other words, how many times someone's name is put in these cells.

Easy enough so far.

I've then asked the formula to express amount of 'Yes' answers as a percentage in T6 and T7 (100% and 75% respectively) by using the COUNTIF and COUNTA functions.

Again, easy enough.

Here's the question I need to answer: How do I stop the rest of the cells displaying a #DIV/0! error message when there's nothing to count in columns E, H, K, N and Q? Ideally I'd like the cells just to stay blank until text is inputted in the respective row, but my Excel knowledge isn't up to it.

Thanks in advance guys.

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
How do I stop the rest of the cells displaying a #DIV/0! error message when there's nothing to count in columns E, H, K, N and Q?
Wrap the formul in an IFERROR formula, in which you tell it what to display in case of error, i.e.
=IFERROR(your formula here, "")

So this tells it to return an empty string if the formula results in an error (otherwise, it will return the result of the formula).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hanakoro

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back