A graph question

glensnow

I am creating a basic line graph with an X and Y axis. My X axis consists of daily dates covering a one year period. I am trying to add to this graph vertical lines extending upward from the X axis for specific dates. For example, I have a graph that has an X axis covering the period from August 1, 2006 up to the current date. I would like to have a vertical line displaying on my graph for November 17, 2006, January 24, 2006, March 29, 2006 and June 16, 2006.

Can someone help with this?
Thanks in advance.

Glen

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
I'm assuming those final three dates are actually in 2007, right? :wink:

Put those four dates in a column, with zeros (or a number of your choice, or a formula) in the next column. Create a new series in your graph with the dates as X and the zeros/numbers as Y. This is a "dummy" series; once you're done with the next few steps you can format the series to have no line and no symbols. Anyway, format the series, and select "Y error bars". If your number is in the middle of your data, you'll want both positive and negative error bars; if you pick a number below the minimum you will want positive error bars, etc. The error bars can be formatted by color and weight just like the major and minor gridlines. Once you're happy with how it looks, format the series to remove the dots and lines, and you're left with just your vertical lines, right where you wanted them.

In several sheets where I use these, I manually set the Y axis min to zero and max to a specific number, then give the error bars a value larger than the top of the Y axis. Looks just like randomly placed (in my case) gridlines.

Upvote 0
Here's an example graph I created tonight:

900628773_41d0575339.jpg

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmsotelo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back