A mix of Merged/Split Cells in a row to reflect a "family" of separate actions relatint to a "parent" cell?

RichieA

Hi all - I'm hoping this is something that can be fixedin Excel to be achieved in one single sheet.

I'm building a worksheet to hold client account plan summaries with multipleentries of a client, by my involved offices/teams, with text summaries but cruciallyincorporating a list of actions with due dates that can be tracked (usingconditional formatting that I already have tested). A basic example can be seenin Example 1 below.

However, I need to represent multiple actions by office/team per client. Asthese due dates will be tracked with conditional formatting I THINK I need toenter each action in its own row so the date can be tracked, and actions sortedaccordingly. I have shown a new action added in Example 2 below in red. Howeverto achieve this I had to enter a new row, enter the new action and date, andthen merge down the relevant "parent" cell with general text to theleft, whilst keeping the columns distinct. This is very labour intensiveespecially as there may be 200+ clients with 500+ actions to update regularly.

So is there a way to either:
a) automate the insertion of a new row to allow the relevant action to beentered, but then merge all the cells, keeping their sep columns, to the leftof the actions area or
b) include multiple actions with dates in one cell, where the dates can stillbe tracked and conditionally formatted, negating the ned to enter a new roweach time?

I'm thinking it may be a scenario for macros - but I know nothing about them.

If not, I'll need to have a second sheet purely to reflect the relevant actionsper client, with the main sheet being the client account plan text.

Many thanks in advance

R

Example 1
ClientOfficeValueLatest EventNext ActionWhoWhen
Alpha IncAustria£25Sold 1000 unitsArrange meetJP25-Aug
Alpha IncBelgium£63Visit completeSupply goodsRA14-Sep
Alpha IncCanada£564Visit completeSupply goodsMS14-Sep
Alpha IncDenmark£34Shut downShut downNK12-Dec
Alpha IncEgypt£67
Bravo IncAustria£42
Bravo IncBelgium£40
Bravo IncCanada£32LunchRugbyFG14-Oct
Bravo IncDenmark£56
Bravo IncEgypt£40
Example 2
ClientOfficeValueLatest EventNext ActionWhoWhen
Alpha IncAustria£25Sold 1000 unitsArrange meetJP25-Aug
Alpha IncBelgium£63Visit completeSupply goodsRA14-Sep
Alpha IncCanada£564Visit completeSupply goodsMS14-Sep
Alpha IncDenmark£34Shut downShut downNK12-Dec
ReviewNK01-Sep
Alpha IncEgypt£67
Bravo IncAustria£42
Bravo IncBelgium£40
Bravo IncCanada£32LunchRugbyFG14-Oct
Bravo IncDenmark£56
Bravo IncEgypt£40

<colgroup><col style="width: 138pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 6729;" width="184"> <col style="width: 87pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 4242;" width="116"> <col style="width: 76pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 3693;" width="101"> <col style="width: 86pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 4205;" width="115"> <col style="width: 101pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 4937;" width="135"> <col style="width: 66pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 3218;" width="88"> <col style="width: 61pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2962;" width="81"> <tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
Apologies - the example I copied in displayed incorrectly making the requirement less clear. Hopefully the below, shows the red text in the right location:

Example 2
Client
Office
Value
Latest Event
Next Action
Who
When
Alpha Inc
Austria
£25
Sold 1000 units
Arrange meet
JP
25-Aug
Alpha Inc
Belgium
£63
Visit complete
Supply goods
RA
14-Sep
Alpha Inc
Canada
£564
Visit complete
Supply goods
MS
14-Sep
Alpha Inc
Denmark
£34
Shut down
Shut down
NK
12-Dec
Review
NK
01-Sep
Alpha Inc
Egypt
£67

Bravo Inc
Austria
£42

Bravo Inc
Belgium
£40

Bravo Inc
Canada
£32
Lunch
Rugby
FG
14-Oct
Bravo Inc
Denmark
£56

Bravo Inc
Egypt
£40

<tbody>
</tbody>

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradel

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back