A moving average of sorts

Prime12357

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello World. I am working on updating spreadsheet to track expenses year over year. One of the updates is to include the ability to selectively average data from a variable range of years (user selected). The monthly sum data is presented in a table, where the first column has a date (i.e 2015-02-01) and subsequent columns are the value in that month for various expenses, i.e. rent, utilities, groceries etc.). In the averages summary table, the data is broken down by month in the first column, and then each subsequent column is a given category of expense. The goal, is to allow the user to enter a number of years to average, and display the average category cost for the months in that range. That is to say, the user may enter "3" years, and the average groceries (and all categories) for each month between 2016 and 2019 would be calculated into the averages summary table. For this to work, the formula has to intelligently identify the year of the date code in the monthly sum data to be in the correct range, and that the month of the date code to match that of the line in the averages summary table.

After several attempts, the closest I have been able to come is:
{=AVERAGE(IF(AND(Totals[Date]>=$E$20,Totals[Date]<=$G$20,MONTH(Totals[Date])=MONTH($B22&1)),Totals[Rent]))}
Where
Totals[Date] is the first column of the monthly sum data - being the date code
$E$20 is the generated start date which counts back the user entered number of years from today's date (i.e. 2019-12-29 today becomes 2016-12-29 in E20).
$G$20 is today's date
$B22 is the Month header in the averages summary table, and would be the text of "January" etc.

When evaluated, the results from the conditional statements all return as expected, that is to say, that the dates which fall in the appropriate time period, and are of the appropriate month all appear as true, and the others all false. However, when the overall formula evaluates, it evaluates as false. I am at a loss as to where to proceed from here.

Totals Table
DateRentUtilitiesGroceries
2014-01-01$$$
2014-02-01$$$
2014-03-01$$$
[...]
2019-12-01$$$

Averages Table
MonthRentUtilitiesGroceries
January
February
March
[...]
December

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
Maybe:
Enter with CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER

=AVERAGE(IF(Totals[Date]>=$E$20,IF(Totals[Date]<=$G$20,IF(MONTH(Totals[Date])=MONTH($B22&1,Totals[Rent]))))

Upvote 0
This worked, thank you! I had tried a similar average(if(and argument before to no avail, and never thought of nesting it.

Can you think of any reason the earlier proposed formula didn't work, when the arguments independently were found true?

Upvote 0
It's because the AND function does not return an array of values which you need in this case.

In the example below the AND formula in C2 just returns FALSE (cell D2).
The IF formula in C3 returns the array shown in cell D3.

Book1
ABCD
12FormulaReturns
23FalseFalse
31True{TRUE;TRUE;TRUE;TRUE;FALSE;FALSE;TRUE}
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C2C2{=AND(A1:A7>=1,A1:A7<=3)}
C3C3{=IF(A1:A7>=1,IF(A1:A7<=4,TRUE,FALSE))}
Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to enter array formulas surrounded with curly braces.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlosWin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back