a pet peeve / desire with conditional formatting editing

Gates Is Antichrist

Just about every time I hand-edit a condition I get killed by the arrow key behavior, which doesn't work as an edit key, but infuriatingly causes unwanted cell references to be inserted to the condition. If this isn't described well enough, just try using an arrow key in any text box and watch, while editing any existing conditional format. (Even control-arrow keys are screwed thusly! Nice work catching that one, Microsoft Deproductivity Development Team!)

I have a workaround, but my question is if the behavior itself can be defeated - and if not, is there a better workaround than mine.

FWIW the workaround is to tab to the text box of concern and immediately hit Ctrl-C, and paste to an external app. like Word (or Notepad, if you don't mind the weaker Control-arrow behavior).

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
Gates Is Antichrist said:
Just about every time I hand-edit a condition I get killed by the arrow key behavior, which doesn't work as an edit key, but infuriatingly causes unwanted cell references to be inserted to the condition. If this isn't described well enough, just try using an arrow key and watch, while editing any existing conditional format. (Even control-arrow keys are screwed thusly! Nice work catching that one, Microsoft Deproductivity Development Team!)

I have a workaround, but my question is if the behavior itself can be defeated - and if not, is there a better workaround than mine.

FWIW the workaround is to tab to the text box of concern and immediately hit Ctrl-C, and paste to an external app. like Word (or Notepad, if you don't mind the weaker Control-arrow behavior).

Yes, it is a terrible thing, also in the Refers to box of Insert|Name|Define.

First hit F2 then activate movement keys...

Upvote 0
A similar behaviour also happens in the formula bar.

I've lost count how many times when I'm entering a concatenation formula, hit space and ended up with an unwanted reference to the entire row. eg 2:2

Upvote 0
Aladin: Awesome. Awesome. Thanks! F2 - whoda thunk it was that easy. What an enormous timesaver you've given me/us with that one.

Upvote 0
Norie, the one that kills me is having the shift key down for 1 millionth of a second too long after typing an ampersand - which is followed by space bar. Typing shift-spacebar screws me over and over.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back