A question for Bill Jelen

ok
now that we cleared up who Mr. Jelen is and what the e-mail was about
can we go back to the original question.

what is
userid, e-mail address, and the encrypted password in the form of hash+salt.

and what is the appropriate steps to:

encourage you to take other steps appropriate to protect this online account.

mike

userid is your user id in your case still learning. hash+salt is the encryption.

As Bill stated a fast computer could create billions of passwords to try and guess the password - but to confirm the password is correct that could only be achieved by successfully logging in to this site...is that right? I'm guessing (as Bill said) that most people use the same password for most sites. So this sounds serious. But, if the perpetrator has not yet got into your personal MrExcel account, is it safe to then assume that other sites with the same e-mail/password combination are currently safe? I know that sounds like slack security on my part, but a password generator can easily generate the combinations, but it would be more time consuming to find the one that actually works? In the meantime accounts could/should be locked if multiple unsuccessful attempts, or a delay introduced to frustrate the perpetrator with an exponential time delay. Unless each and every account used the identical hash+salt combination (unlikely) then simply changing the MrExcel password NOW, before the perpetrator confirms your personal password, should be enough....is that correct? I know this sounds slack or potentially dangerous on my part but I'm guessing we are safer than we think once we change this password.

Last edited:
The main thing is not to have the same password for multiple sites. If someone else could log in to Mr Excel as me, what's the worst they could do? Ask a very basic question, or give an incorrect answer? I'm more than capable of doing both myself...!

But if they could take the same email address / password combination and use it to access accounts on online banking sites, shopping sites, social media, etc - you have a far greater problem.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back