A simple loop problem

djpeter

Board Regular
I am currently trying to generate random numbers in a row. I would like to loop the following code so it takes the previous number and uses it for the mean.

'first d10 is the output range, the second 1 is for the number of random numbers generated
'the rnd() is for a random seed, the c10 is the past cell that had a random number in it and is
'the mean, the last argumend d7 is the standard deviation.

If Cells(8, 4) <> "" Then
Application.Run "ATPVBAEN.XLAM!Random", ActiveSheet.Range("d10"), 1, 1, 2, Int(Rnd() * (32767 - 1) + 1), Range("c10").value, _
Range("d7").value
End If

thank you

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
sorry, here is what i want:

I am currently trying to generate random numbers in a column. I would like to loop the following code so it takes the previous columns number and uses it for the mean.

'first d10 is the output range, the second 1 is for the number of random numbers generated
'the rnd() is for a random seed, the c10 is the past cell that had a random number in it and is
'the mean, the last argument d7 is the standard deviation.

Application.Run "ATPVBAEN.XLAM!Random", ActiveSheet.Range("d10"), 1, 1, 2, Int(Rnd() * (32767 - 1) + 1), Range("c10").value, Range("d7").value
End If

so i guess the number that has to be looped inside of the code i already have is the range("c10").value to go to ("c11").value

Upvote 0
Hi try

Code:
Dim a as integer
For a = 10 to 50
Application.Run "ATPVBAEN.XLAM!Random", ActiveSheet.Range("d10"), 1, 1, 2, Int(Rnd() * (32767 - 1) + 1), Range("c" & a).value, Range("d7").value
Next a
End If
Ravi

Upvote 0
Hi
Try
Code:
Dim a as integer, b as integer
for b = 10 to 50
For a = 10 to 50
Application.Run "ATPVBAEN.XLAM!Random", ActiveSheet.Range("d" & b), 1, 1, 2, Int(Rnd() * (32767 - 1) + 1), Range("c" & a).value, Range("d7").value
Next a
next b
End If
Ravi

Upvote 0
unfortunately that does not work, it overwrites the data 40 times such as that for each loop from 10 to 50, do another loop 40 times.

Upvote 0
no i don't need another loop but if i do it the way above, it keeps overwriting the data, try it and see. it loops the inner code 40 times, then loops that process 40 times again... in other words, above i am looping the loop.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the suggestion but I don't have to try code to see what it does.

Look at my previous post again. Change Ravi's *first* code sample as I indicated.

no i don't need another loop but if i do it the way above, it keeps overwriting the data, try it and see. it loops the inner code 40 times, then loops that process 40 times again... in other words, above i am looping the loop.

Upvote 0
it doesn't go to the next cell, it generates 40 random numbers in the same cell then goes to the next, that is not what i want, i want it to go to the next then generate a number and keep doing that. the next number generated is using the c & dynamic for the mean, so as i go down the column, a new number is generated based off the previous columns number.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpierce

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back