A special Offset/Lookup combination

brockk

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Web
Hi to all in the forum.

I am tring to do an inventory template for the materials and supplies of the office. In my workbook I have 2 worksheets (Template! & Inventory!) In the Template worksheet I have a number of lookups that need to be done to fill all the necessary fields of the Template worksheet in order to be able to print it.

Here's the scenario:

Inventory worksheet:

Has info. from columns A through G. (Item #, Description, Date, Reference, Recv'd, Used & Qty, respectively) The actual data begins in row 2 all the way down to 1400+. The breakdown in format of how the info. will be present simultaneously for each item # is the following format:

Item # 1's format:

1st row of data (ej. row 2) has Item # (Col. A, formated as Text) & Description (Col. B)
2nd row of data (ej. row 3) has Headers: Date, Reference, Recv'd, Used, & Qty. (Col. C through G)
3rd row of data (ej. row 4) has the actual data and it consists always of 15 rows. (ej rows 3 through 17)

Item # 2's format:
Same as first item only in rows 18 through 33.....and so forth there on.

Template Worksheet:

What I am trying to attempt is, in the Template worksheet, I will be entering in cell $K$5, the item # that I want displaying its inventory info. The actual data that I want to show up in Template!A18:E31 is that which pertains to the item # entered in $k$5. (Meaning: it will lookup in the Inventory worksheet and search if the entered # is valid, if its a valid #, I need a formula that can make it display the 5 columns and 15 rows of data for that particular Item #). Hope this is clear enough to understand.

I'm pretty sure that my response should be a Offset/Lookup combination of some sort but really can't get the actual hang of combining these two.

Anyways, thank you for any help that can be provided to solve this issue.

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
Try putting this formula in A18 on Template and copy it to the whole range A18:E31

=INDEX(Inventory!C:C,MATCH($K$5,Inventory!$A:$A,0)+ROW()-17)

Upvote 0
Wow thanks jbeaucaire, for your reply...I've been trying to knock this one out for about a week now and just totally gave up. I managed to tweak it so it can print from the 3rd row of data, being that the rows headers are already included in the template. So I adjusted it from your formula: =INDEX(Inventory!C:C,MATCH($K$5,Inventory!$A:$A,0)+ROW()-17) to this one: =INDEX(Inventory!C:C,MATCH($K$5,Inventory!$A:$A,0)+ROW()-16).

Works beautifully, but I wanted to know if, the item wasn't filled with complete data "meaning: all 15 rows of data and for the sake of an example, there were only 7 or 8 rows of data, I would like to know if it is possible that when I am copying it to the Template worksheet if instead of filling these with 0, if these could be filled with blanks ("") instead. I would truly appreciate it if this could be capable within the formula.

Using the example of 8 rows of the 15 filled with data, the outcome should be:

rows 1 thru 8 data as is:
rows 9 thru 15 should be in blank.

Thank you once again for your help.

Upvote 0
Click in EDIT > TOOLS > VIEW > [ ] Zero Values and uncheck that. That setting applies to this sheet only.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. I guess I forgot to mention the fact that I am using 2007. But did manage to find the option. Thank you kindly. You saved me on this one. Much grats.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back