A way around SUM function #REF! errors?

MSC

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2021
Platform
  1. MacOS
Hi, I manage a fairly large spreadsheet with a challenge: it lives on a shared drive, and a number of people with varying Excel skills have access to it and are required to update it with forecasted figures which sometimes change.

Regular use of the spreadsheet often causes my summary formulas to turn into errors.

If one of the forecasted numbers changes and now needs to move to a different week, folks will sometimes just drag that cell over to the new column. This dragging causes formula errors.
(I know what you are thinking, just ask them to NOT drag cell contents: let's just say that's not an option so I must work within these constraints).

My summary totals at the bottom require me to segment the group in a number of different ways.
But if you drag either of the yellow cells (or any other cells w/data) to a different week, that is what triggers the formula error.

How do I avoid this? thank you.

PS I have a mac, couldn't get XL2BB to work....

1658364942331.png

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Have a look at this approach (in green cells) to see if it addresses the problem. I dragged the yellow cells from their original locations (blanks there now) to illustrate how the cell-by-cell formulas you show follow the moved numbers, while the SUMIF approach does not.
MrExcel_20220719.xlsx
ABCDEF
8Person a201020
9Person b889
10Person c403050
11Person a607060
12Person z5813
13Person b502040
14Person m608040
15Person a9080100
17total a180170160
18total b584829
19totalPerson a80170160
20totalPerson b58829
Sheet6
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C17C17=C8+C11+F15
D17:E17D17=D8+D11+D15
C18,E18C18=C9+C13
D18D18=D9+F13
C19:E20C19=SUMIF($B$8:$B$15,$B19,C$8:C$15)

Upvote 0
Solution
PS I have a mac, couldn't get XL2BB to work....
That's fine, XL2BB does not work with some versions of Excel on Mac. However, it would be useful if you updated your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

Upvote 0
Slow response, my apologies, but this is terrific - just what I needed, thanks.

Upvote 0
@MSC
Please note that the 'Mark as solution' option should be used to mark the actual post that contains the solution. Perhaps it was accidental but you had marked post #3 when it clearly does not answer your original question. :)
I have changed it to mark Kirk's post instead.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back