Absolute Reference from another Worksheet

michaelg1

How do I use an absolute reference when linking data from a different worksheet? For example when I enter =+'Electric 2018'!$C7/'Use per Tenant'!C$15 it doesn't work.

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
Welcome to the Board!

How is it not working?
Can you explain exactly what you are doing, what your expected behavior is, and what is actually happening?

Upvote 0
I am trying to link data from worksheet Electric 2018, using an absolute reference and dividing it by data from the a cell on the 2nd worksheet. However only the data from the 2nd worksheet stays absolute but the data from the first worksheet does not.

Upvote 0
Neither of your range references are actually absolute. They are both mixed references.
$C7 locks down column C, but allows the row reference to move.
C$15 locks down row 15, but allows the column reference to move.

If you want them to both be absolute, you would need to use $C$7 and $C$15
See: http://www.cpearson.com/EXCEL/relative.aspx

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think you are dragging the formula downwords. In that case your 'Electric 2018'!$C7 will change because you didn't fixed row number if you want it as absolute then you need to fixed row number as well, like this 'Electric 2018'!$C$7.

Upvote 0
Cross posted https://www.excelforum.com/excel-ge...nce-with-data-from-a-different-worksheet.html

Cross-Posting
While we do not prohibit Cross-Posting on this site, we do ask that you please mention you are doing so and provide links in each of the threads pointing to the other thread (see rule 13 here along with the explanation: Forum Rules).
This way, other members can see what has already been done in regards to a question, and do not waste time working on a question that may already be answered.

Upvote 0
Correct. I only want C to be absolute but not 7. That still doesn't work.
It seems to work fine for me.

Please explain EXACTLY what you are doing that leads to it not working the way you expect.
If I want to re-create what is happening to you on your side, I need to know the exact steps you are doing that causes this to happen (simply saying "it is not working" is not enough for us to help you!).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back