absoulte macro

oddworld

hi all can some please help me, i need a macro to go through sheet1, and make cells in the following ranges absoulte

a6:k15
i17:k29
a49:m58.

i need this so when i copy the day to a different wkbk in a dif rng to the orig wksht, it will read correctly.

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Code:
Sub Test()
On Error Resume Next
With Sheets("Sheet1")
  For Each c In .Range("a6:k15,i17:k29,a49:m58").Cells
     If c.Value <> "" Then c.Value = Abs(c.Value)
  Next c
End With
End Sub

Best regards

Richard

Upvote 0
re

thanks for your reply i tried you code. I do have a problem in that on sheet1 in the applicable ranges. these ranges alinked to another workbook, and is updated. you code wipes of the link and leaves the value, can you code be tweaked to just change the cell value to absoulte, ie cell a6 currently = ='H:\dgpp\dwpe\dwp-a\OTHER RANKS\GTR\ARA\OR\FY0708\Trade Sheets - HNA\[RACT GTR V8.xls]035'!A3

i need the code to add $$ to the cell refence at the end ie ='H:\dgpp\dwpe\dwp-a\OTHER RANKS\GTR\ARA\OR\FY0708\Trade Sheets - HNA\[RACT GTR V8.xls]035'!$A$3

Upvote 0
Ah Apologies for that - I rather spectacularly misunderstood your requirement! To change to absolute references isn't that easy (I believe), but if you only have references of the type:

='C:\myfolder\[myfile.xls]Sheet1'!A3

and not:

=VLOOKUP(A1,'C:\myfolder\[myfile.xls]Sheet1'!A3:C300,3,0)

Then it is possible using the following:

Code:
Sub Test() 
On Error Resume Next 
With Sheets("Sheet1") 
  For Each c In .Range("a6:k15,i17:k29,a49:m58").Cells 
     c.Formula = left(c.Formula,instrrev(c.Formula,"!")) & "$"& mid(c.Formula,instrrev(c.Formula,"!")+1,1)  &"$"& mid(c.Formula,instrrev(c.Formula,"!")+2) 
  Next c 
End With 
End Sub

So, depending on how your formulas are written, this may work for you.

Richard

Upvote 0
re

thanks richard works a treat, thankyou for you time.

Do you know how i could change your code to look in sheet 1 and find any formula and make it absoulte instead of a range ?

cheers

Upvote 0
If the formulas are all contained in columns A-Z and none have rnages such as A1:A20 (ie they are all simple A1 or C5 type ie very simple) then you can use:

Code:
Sub Test() 
On Error Resume Next 
Sheets("Sheet1").Activate 
  For Each c In Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeFormulas)
     c.Formula = left(c.Formula,instrrev(c.Formula,"!")) & "$"& mid(c.Formula,instrrev(c.Formula,"!")+1,1)  &"$"& mid(c.Formula,instrrev(c.Formula,"!")+2) 
  Next c 
End Sub

If the ranges references are more complicated (ie C5:H15 for example) then the job becomes much more complicated (and I do mean a lot more). Potentially someone else might have a better solution in that case.

Richard

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ksonnia

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back