Access 2007 Default = Now() > "Compile error. in table-level validation expression."

Joe Bleicher

Access 2007 I added a field to a table and went to save and received the following error
"Compile error. in table-level validation expression."

On investigation found I had a date field that had Default property set to Now().
Removing the default allowed me to save the table.

I have been using this technique for years. And for the last 5 months with Access 2007.

(Note I am working in an enterprise environment.)

Two weeks ago the same problem manifested but started to work again after about a half hour.
Today it’s going on 8 hours of trying to figure this out but no joy searching the internet.

I am assuming that the network admin is doing something that is causing this problem.
What ever they are doing with some security setting is not allowing VBA functions to compile.

I tried to make a user certificate and apply to application, no joy.

Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Joe

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
Hi Joe,

Welcome to the forum,

Have you looked at the name of the field, as there are a number of reserved words that will cause issues. Do you realise that Now() means date and Time, where date() is just the date, as this can cause issues with reports and queries!

Upvote 0
Hi Trevor, thanks for responding.
After 2 days the problem went away!
I am speculating that the network administrator pushed new security settings that would not allow Access 2007 to compile any VBA functions into the table object. This didn’t affect Access 2003 and earlier.
I realize that the security model for 2007 is different but I didn’t want to deal with it until I was ready to deploy the application. Why there is a setting that would lockdown a database from the creator of the database working on their own machine is beyond me.
Regards, Joe

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back