Access 2010 How do I filter for a mail merge?

Riverside Zoe

:confused: I have a database;
-from the table I have tried filtering then going to mail merge- but it still includes everything.
- I have tried creating a query from the database table and then filtering before going to mail merge- same thing!

Surely there is a way of filtering without having to go into 'Design View' and trying to figure out the correct 'language' for Criteria before it filters?!

For example I want to send a letter to everyone I have entered into the database in the month of August and only those that I have a full address for. I have worked out to put NOT BLANK in the Criteria but what about those without a full address? I can filter out perfectly using the full table but it won't save to the mail merge stage.
Do I really have to copy the database and then delete records before I get to mail merge? Surely not? What's the point of filtering and then removing the filter if I can't mail merge with a filter on.

PLEASE HELP!!

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
You should be able to create a query that select just the records that you want.
Keep in mind that when dealing with multiple Criteria, it matters what line they are on, i.e.
Criteria entered on the SAME Criteria row are treated like an AND clause, i.e. Criteria1 AND Criteria2 (meaning that a record is returned only if BOTH of those two criteria are met).
Criteria entered on DIFFERENT Criteria rows are treated like an OR clause, i.e. Criteria1 OR Criteria2 (meaning that a record is returned if EITHER of those two criteria are met).

So, I believe you want to paste all your Criteria on the same Criteria row.

If you cannot get it to work properly, switch your query to SQL View and copy and paste your SQL code here so we can see what you are doing.

Upvote 0
Lol, except it won't copy and paste!!
So, I'd like all the columns to transfer over and then filter out certain ID's that don't have all their information yet.
After that I'd like to mail merge.
Zoe x

You should be able to create a query that select just the records that you want.
Keep in mind that when dealing with multiple Criteria, it matters what line they are on, i.e.
Criteria entered on the SAME Criteria row are treated like an AND clause, i.e. Criteria1 AND Criteria2 (meaning that a record is returned only if BOTH of those two criteria are met).
Criteria entered on DIFFERENT Criteria rows are treated like an OR clause, i.e. Criteria1 OR Criteria2 (meaning that a record is returned if EITHER of those two criteria are met).

So, I believe you want to paste all your Criteria on the same Criteria row.

If you cannot get it to work properly, switch your query to SQL View and copy and paste your SQL code here so we can see what you are doing.

Upvote 0
Lol, except it won't copy and paste!!
I have never heard of that happening. I do it all the time, as do a lot of others. Maybe your clipboard is full and needs emptying?
If you switch your query SQL View, do you see the SQL code?
If so, then highlight all the code, then try CTRL-C to copy, and then come to the forum and use CTRL-V to paste.
Does that work?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So, I'd like all the columns to transfer over and then filter out certain ID's that don't have all their information yet.
In your Query, place this on the top Criteria row under each field that you want to make sure is populated to be included:
Code:
<>"" Or Not Is Null

Upvote 0
It still doesn't copy and paste, even thought today is a new day and my mind has had a rest! I even changed the batteries on my keyboard!
I've come to the conclusion that the software just wasn't made to do a simple task like offering to mail merge after so nicely filtering for me!
One lovely lady from America gave me a link, which funny enough won't copy and paste either, and it's slowly dawning on me that I'll just have to comply!
Of course any more comments & help is gladly welcome. Thank you!

Upvote 0
But why the <> language? Why not make it simple and just mail merge what I can see after filtering?!
Queries with Criteria actually are considered pretty simple/basic in Access.

The issue is that filtering the data that you are viewing is just a temporary view and is not saved. So when you link to that table/query, it merges the saved table/query.
Using Criteria on a Query is kind of a way to save "filters" (for lack of a better term) to your Query.

I seldom actually use the other "Filters" in Access (more of an Excel thing). The thing to remember is that Access is not Excel, or an extension of Excel. It is a totally different beast (it is a "relational database program"). People often get stuck in the Excel way of thinking, and that limits them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I wouldn't know, I've never used Excel. It just seemed logical to me that you should be able to mail merge a temporary view!
It has made me create more columns though so I can use 'Criteria' ;)

Upvote 0
I wouldn't know, I've never used Excel. It just seemed logical to me that you should be able to mail merge a temporary view!
There is logic there, just a bit deeper than you realize. When doing things like Mail Merge, you are linking to an "Object". A data source object in Access is a Table or Query. A filter is not saved to the Object (try filtering on an Table/Query, close it, then re-open it - is the data still filtered?). Query criteria is part of the query and is therefore part of the Object itself.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennlynn

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back