Access 2010 Import Inconsistentcy

aziska

Good morning folks,

I have a question regarding an import of a file. I'm attempting to import a text file to a previously constructed table (used as a datashell) with 3 fields that contain leading zeros. If i import the text file as a new table and define the fields as text, the leading zeros are kept and no issues. However, if i attempt to import the text files into the datashell, which has the appropriate fields defined as text fields, the leading zeros are lost and it seems to import them as numbers first. Does anyone know what causes this and how to correct it w/o having to import as a new table everytime. (Can be done, but is more involved process at the moment.)

Thank you very much for your help in advance,

Regards,

Aaron

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
Are you using an Import Specification?
If so, there may be a problem with it, and you may need to just rebuild it.

Upvote 0
I am not using the import specification tool yet. I was planning on building one after i get this to work properly. but at the moment i'm just doing the import manually and after i get it to append properly to the datashell, then i will save the import spec. Thanks for the quick reply and for helping me out.

-Aaron

Upvote 0
I would recommend importing it once in to a "new table", and before you click "Finish" on the Import Wizard, click on the Advanced tab and save your Import Specification.

Then, try importing into your "datashell" table, but before you click Finish, click on the Advanced tab and bring up the Import Specification, then Finish the import.

What happens then? Do the leading zeroes appear?
If so, you have successfully created the Import Specification you need and will want to use.

Upvote 0
To the best of my knowledge it looks like the new way of loading using the import spec is working. Thank you very much for your time and patience. Best to you and yours,

-Aaron

Upvote 0
Great! Glad to hear it!

Occassionally, I have problems with Import Specs if something in the table has changed, or if I am importing and exporting to the same layout, and try to use the Export Spec to build my Import Specs In almost all instances, simply re-building the Import Spec solved the problem.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
THMarana

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back