Access 2010 Null date then display this message?

3djohnboy

Hey guys new here I have 2 questions if I have a date in my database that is sometimes null I want to be prompted to enter a message that it will display instead of blank for the null date, but the dates that are populated I want them to show the date that is in the database the field is called [CertificationExpiration]

any help would be appreciated..

my second problem is the logo I entered in my page header is a png with transparency but it always prints the transparent space around the image as white on a gray background header with bg color. I have tried setting to hairline and transparent and still prints the white space..

I am very new to access can do basic queries and have been learning reports. This is for my work I am stuck and boss is making me struggle through to learn but I am spending a lot of time on it and getting frustrated, seems like no matter what I try these 2 problems never get worked out.

Thanks
John

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
Hi John,

you can use NZ (null to zero) to display whatever you want if there is no value

ie:
NZ([datefield],#11/16/2012#)

if this is in a query and you want to be prompted:

NZ([datefield],[enter date to use])
then define the data type for [enter date to use] in the query parameters dialog box

as for your png with transparency, I have no advice to offer

> "very new to access"
look in my signature for links to help you learn :)

Upvote 0
thanks I tried that but it didnt work

do I put this in my query or in my conditional formatting of the field in my report? does it matter?

the part about telling it what type of data it was you lost me at that

I put in the question and it prompts me but it drops all the records that dont have date populated.. is this a join problem I tried joining the 2 tables together with the join options of 1, 2 and 3 still drops the records with no date using this nz code

do you have any other ideas?

how would I make another field and have it display the value of the original field if it is populated and then display my prompted field if it is null?

Upvote 0
> "is this a join problem I tried joining the 2 tables together with the join options of 1, 2 and 3 still drops the records with no date using this nz code"

you will have to join your tables using criteria NOT a join line between the tables on the date field -- you should do that anyway since dates can also store time

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdnMech

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back