Access 2013 and Sharepoint 2013

miguel.escobar

Has anyone ever tried the Access Web App for Sharepoint 2013? It literally creates an instance of SQL Server 2012 so this new "hybrid" should give the actual Application some new never-before-seen features.

Share your thoughts!

Has anyone ever done a row-level security or used of views with the Web Access App on Sharepoint?

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
Hi,

I'm glad to see your excitement over the work we accomplished with our Access 2013 web apps built on top of SharePoint and based directly on a SQL Server database. I'm very familiar with these features since I work on the development team.

Do you have a specific question in mind concerning our Access 2013 web apps?
Anything I can help you with?

--------------------
Jeff Conrad - Access Junkie - MVP Alumnus
SDET II - Access Test Team - Microsoft Corporation

Author - Microsoft Access 2013 Inside Out (coming soon)
Author - Microsoft Access 2010 Inside Out
Co-author - Microsoft Office Access 2007 Inside Out
Access 2007/2010 Info: http://www.AccessJunkie.com

----------
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.mspx
----------

Upvote 0
Hi Jeff!

You guys did a great job with the product! Congratz!

I do have a question that I'm not sure how to tackle and it was posted here:
Access 2013 Web App with Sharepoint 2013

and I'm also wondering if there's a way to do a row-level security with the toolkit that already exists for SQL Server 2012 so it can be reflected in the application itself.

On a side note, will the new book Microsoft Access 2013 Inside Out have in-depth explanation of the Access 2013 web app?

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Hi,

It looks like from your earlier thread you are essentially wanting a cascading combo box type of functionality within the web app views. You want values in one combo box to dynamically change based on the values in a different combo box. Am I understanding your scenario here correctly?

If so, unfortunately, we were not able to implement this type of functionality in time for the release of Access 2013. It is definitely a feature that we've thought about and can see scenarios for, however, time ran out for us so currently you cannot dynamically change the contents of one combo box based on another combo box within our Access web app views. I am hopeful we can implement something like this in the future.

Row level security is also another feature we currently do not have in our Access web apps. This is another feature I'd like to see us add into the product.

Since each Access web app is based directly on a SQL Server database, you can (assuming you have appropriate permissions) open the SQL database and do essentially whatever you want. That being said, you would essentially be completely in "unsupported" territory because our web apps are developed to have Access be your only design surface for creating/editing/deleting objects. If you step outside this space and make changes directly to the SQL objects and fields using SSMS, you could make it so Access can no longer understand the app and thus make it not editable by Access anymore. Make sense? So while it *might* be possible to implement row level security using SQL Server Management Studio on an Access 2013 web app, I don't have any idea how the app would function at runtime in the browser or in the designer using Access client.

Concerning my 2013 book, yes the first 600 pages of my new book are completely devoted to discussing our new Access 2013 web apps. I doubt any other competing book will cover this topic in greater detail than my book. I have the advantage of walking down the hall and asking each program manager, developer, and tester on the team, "Tell me everything about your feature." <evil laugh> :)

My new book should be rolling out in just a few weeks now. Personally, I believe it should have been out sooner (I finished writing in February) but the review and production process has taken much longer than I would have liked this time.

--------------------

----------
----------

Upvote 0
ahh! that sounded so much like the story of Powerpivot... you guys ran out of time but are cooking something special under the covers :) and by special I mean pretty awesome!

and yes, you're pretty accurate about the thread that I started. In essence, I want to fill out 2 parameters in a form / view so it can automatically populate a 3rd one which is actually part of the table that I'm trying to do the insert. Do you have any recommendations on what I should do?

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Hi,

Can you describe in a little more detail exactly what you're trying to accomplish?
Data macros might potentially help depending upon what your scenario is.

--------------------

----------
----------

Upvote 0
Jeff,

I'm going to read more about Data Macros, I'm a complete newbie on those.
What I'm trying to do is create a datasheet view where instead of having all the records of the current table (my fact table), I'd use some of those fields in the view or form but also...with one specific field or column named "Release", which is the ID of a table that looks like this

tbl_release
ID
Country_key
Film_key
ReleaseDate

I'd like to actually have the Country and the Film in the datasheet as columns so the user can select both and then the ID can be automatically calculated based on the values of those 2 columns for my fact table.

*I'm not even sure if I can use related fields for data entry purposes in the datasheet view (but it would be cool!)*

on a more generic note, I'm finding more and more attractive this Access Web App but it does have its limitations. Is there any way that I could later buy the full rights to my SQL Azure Database? it seems like I don't have admin rights but just read/view rights that do not let me add tables using any other tool rather than just Access 2013?
Also, if I have an existing instance of SQL Server 2012 and Sharepoint 2013...can I create an access Web App from it?

Thanks again for all your help! btw, these are all open discussions so whoever is reading is more than welcome to join ! :)

Upvote 0
Hello,

Can you help me figure out how to auto populate fields in my form based on a table in access.

For instance I have a Product Table. Under this table I have Product #, Product Name, Product Year.

I have built an Access form that looks up the Product # from the Product table. I then want to form to populate the product name in a product name column as well as Product year. The difference here is that the user will be inputting more data like notes and price... How can I get these fields to populate based on the users first choice of Product # in my new table?

Thanks!

Hi,

I'm glad to see your excitement over the work we accomplished with our Access 2013 web apps built on top of SharePoint and based directly on a SQL Server database. I'm very familiar with these features since I work on the development team.

Do you have a specific question in mind concerning our Access 2013 web apps?
Anything I can help you with?

--------------------

Access 2007/2010 Info: Home

----------
----------

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back