Access 2019 Table of Future Dates

pjbear

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello, I am hoping that someone can help me.... I have read some information about storing dates in an access table, but I am unsure about how to go about it.

I am wanting to be able to lookup dates from a table based on a start date and a frequency (being weekly, fortnightly, monthly etc.), both entered by the user.
I have created a query to generate the next date, but I am stuck on generating the subsequent dates.

I am not sure if I should create more queries to generate the dates I need, or a table to just store all the future dates and then use queries to lookup what I need.

This is a post that I have read and I am wondering if someone can please assist me with setting something up in the manner described below:
"I tend to cheat. Build a table of dates going 20 years into the future. Add columns for year, month, week, weekday financial year / half year / quarter and anything else you can think of. (Use Excel to build the table and import it). Avoid using Day, Month, Week or Year as field names; Access will get confused because those words are function names. Because I call the table AllTime I tend to use AT_Date, AT_Month, etc as the field names."

In this instance, I am trying to avoid VBA.
Thank you kindly.

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
That reads like you want to create a record that contains a date that is based on some other date plus a frequency. That would be an example of storing a calculation which in 99.5% of cases you should not do. See Microsoft Access tips: Calculated Fields
Some examples of what the dates could be would help if that's not the case here.

If you want to know the next date for an event, you add the frequency to the last date it occurred and display, not store the "next" date. You should be showing these dates and related info on forms or reports, not storing them in tables and not presenting such data to users in the form of tables or queries.

Not sure what you're actually asking for. About the only time you need a table of future dates is when you need to ignore any dates that are not work days but also need to ignore statutory holidays.

Upvote 0
thank you for responding Micron.
I don't really need to ignore any dates, I just want the future dates based on the frequency and start date.
I'm creating an income and expenses database. I have created something in excel, but the concept is too big, and I need to move to a database.
I am now using your advise to create what I need. So far so good.... ?
I am a bit slow with access, but I will get there.... with a lot more posts required!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guy Boot

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back