Access. Feedback would be great!

The Idea Dude

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I posted this in the 'Questions about this board' section, but thought it would be good to circulate it here too.

I was just wondering about posting access related questions on the excel forum. Given the nature of the two programs, I would guess that Excel users are also Access users. I have posted a few little access questions on the Excel forum but I feel a little hesitant doing it.

What are your feelings about this?

I know there are Access boards out there, but I haven't found one yet that turns out replies anywhere as quick as this forum on a consistent basis.

My concern is that the little access related Q's I have asked will no doubtedly lead into full force Access questions with no real relevance to Excel, and I don't want to start causing issues in here about what is a legit post (if that makes sense).

Thanks for reading this and I am eagerly awaiting some replies

I really like the way this Excel forum works and the interaction between members. If an Access forum could be setup in the same way, it would be great! I know I would certainly use it.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Hi,

Sounds like that all users only use MS-softwares....

I agree that a new forum for Database-related Q&A is welcome however MS Access does not has the same position as MS Excel on the market.

There exist several other databases like MySQL, DB2, SQL Server, Paradox, Sybase, Oracle that also are very common.

Personal I feel that it would be a great loss if a new forum only would focus on MS Access.

FWIW,
Dennis

Upvote 0
Would be v interested to see a MySQL element included! Good idea...

Again - there are plenty of dbforums around (most bd programmers scoff at Excel for being such a crap application) - and I would be a little worried that we would be overrun by a master race of db programmers...can't we keep this website out little secret...jeez, this is just like "The Beach" only instead of marijuana plantations we have VB code! Oh dear...

Upvote 0
I have mixed feelings about adding Access to this board. As it is now, logging on here is like jumping into a vast, fast-moving river of information. It's great to to be able to tap into the flow but, gee, isn't there room for another river for Access, somewhere else?

Sure, Excel and Access overlap. And so do Excel and Word, which I use together alot. Talking about the overlaps are part of the fabric of this Board. At the same time, there is value in agreeing on the common focus of our interests. I would vote that Access junkies be given their own playpen.
Tom

This message was edited by Tom Morales on 2002-10-18 14:27

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the responses so far.

I personally think that there is some valuable information in the replies to this topic.

If Access Q's are open slather on the Excel board then that means more Q's to sort through for Excel related stuff.

If there was a separate board for Access as many have suggested, I think it would have no trouble getting posters despite being on an Excel site, and infact, this may minimize the numbers of 'top end unable to relate to beginners' access people out there (to kind of quote one post):).

It appears to me that there is an opening for a friendly and smooth moving (like the Excel board) access board. If such a board was implemented, it would make browsing Excel questions even easier, whilst at the same time providing some support to people needing similar assistance with Access (and the posts seem to suggest that most of us could do with some help:))

Finally, the reality is that there is not an access forum out there that even comes close to the effectiveness of this Excel board (not that anyone can point to anyway). Sure, it is highly unlikely to generate as many posts as the Excel board, but I think it would be a far sight better than what is currently available.

How about a trial board, and then a similar feedback topic like this???

My 2 bucks worth!

Thanks again.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back