Access help - Tools>Security>Workgroup Administrator

tometom

Here is the situation. I have a database that opens with a specific workgroup information file. The problem is that some of my users are getting disconnected from the file, so the database won't allow that user to run anything (specifically reports).

Is there a way to reconnect them to the correct file without having to go through the menus? (Some of my users aren't extremly computer savy, thus even if I explain the reconnection process 100 times, it won't sink in)
I was hoping to maybe just add a button inside the initial form that pops up.

A better question might be: Is this even possible through Access or would I be looking at a Windows VB program or some other program that I don't have any experience with?

Thanks in advance for help and ask questions if further explanation is needed.

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
You can provide the users with a shortcut that they use to open the file. In the shortcut you define the workgroup file, so users automatically join the workgroup if they use the shortcut. Example:

C:\MSOfficeXP\Office10\MSACCESS.EXE c:\data\Northwind_be.mdb
/wrkgrp c:\developer.mdw /user editor

The first 2 sections are the path to Access and the path to the target file; the /wrkgrp and /user switches define the workgroup file and the user login name.

Denis

Upvote 0
Denis, I want to thank you for your help, but I frankly don't understand.

I understand the use of a shortcut and I understand the first two pieces, but I can't wrap my finger around the last 2 pieces. I just don't understand what to do with that information.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Try this:
I have a database that opens with a specific workgroup information file
The full path to the workgroup file is what goes after the /wrkgrp switch. This tells Access that this file uses a specific workgroup and not the default one.
You can probably leave off the /user switch because the users will be prompted to log in when the database launches.

Denis

Upvote 0
Denis, hopefully we can get this right.

Here is the code I put in the shortcut, but it doesn't open the mdw.
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\MSACCESS.EXE" "C:\Experience\Experience Database.mdb" /wrkgrp C:\Experience\system.mdw

If I try adding " "(quotes) aroung /wrkgrp C:\Experience\system.mdw, I at least get an error message that says
Access couldn't find file: 'C:\Experience\system.mdw"' This file is required for startup.
The odd thing is the extra quote on the end of the statement, that makes me think that I am getting closer but I have some silly mistake.

If I add quotes just around the C:\Experience\system.mdw, nothing happens.

Thanks again for the help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
81jamesacct

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back