Access linked tables

uemt08k

I need a way using VBA to create a list of all the linked tables in a given database and their link information. The information can be seen on screen with the linked table manager but I need to have it placed in a table.

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
Hi

I have assumed you have a table in which you want to store the details of the linked table and the table name is 'LinkedTables' and it contains the fields 'TblName', 'fromDatabase' and 'fromTable'. The following VBA code will find the linked tables and insert these 3 details into this table (after first clearing the contents of that table) :
Code:
Private Sub Command11_Click()

Dim strSQL As String

DoCmd.SetWarnings (False)

strSQL = "DELETE * FROM LinkedTables"

DoCmd.RunSQL (strSQL)

strSQL = "INSERT INTO LinkedTables (TblName, fromDatabase, fromTable) " & _
    "SELECT MSysObjects.Name, MSysObjects.Database, MSysObjects.ForeignName " & _
    "FROM MSysObjects WHERE (((MSysObjects.Type)=6));"

DoCmd.RunSQL (strSQL)

DoCmd.SetWarnings (True)

MsgBox "Linked table names copied!", vbInformation, "Done"

End Sub

My code was attached to a button on a form - there is nothing stopping you from using this code in other ways. Make sure you change the code to match your actual table and field names.

HTH, Andrew

Upvote 0
Thanks

:biggrin: I have been needing this for a while and never could figure it out. Now that you have put me onto the MSys tables I have found all kinds of interesting information. Again thank you!

Upvote 0
Hi Andrew

I realise what I'm about to ask is only remotely connected to the thread of this post, but is there any way (that you are aware of) of doing effectively the above but with an SQL Server Db? The reason I ask is because we have SQL Server atr work, the Db administrators aren't too keen on the functional areas having access to the details of the Db structure and I would love to see how their Db is linked together.

Best regards

Richard

PS Please excuse me if I'm being unreasonable

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vmanchoppy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back