Access Parameter Query Error

FinanceGuy007

Hello Guys,

I am trying to copy an existing query that works fine in order to modify and create a new query (this query has been used every week for years without any issues). Everytime I copy (Ctrl + C) the query in the left Object pane, Access is asking me to enter a parameter value (the query is a parameter query) even though all I am doing is COPYING and not running the query. This is preventing me from copying and pasting a new query so that I can modify the new one. I researched online and can't seem to fix this issue. If I cannot copy the existing query, I will need to build an entirely new one (more time that I don't want to spend if I can avoid it).

I have double checked the field names for the parameter value and it is per the field name in the original table. If I do enter the parameter values (a from and to date) then nothing happens and there is not copy made (it does not even run the query or give me an output). I am not sure how to fix this issue. Any ideas are much appreciated.

Access Parameter Query Design View.PNG
Access Parameter Query message - Enter Parameter Value.PNG

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Never heard of this issue before if you're saying you select (not open) the query in the nav pane and then just do ctrl+c and then ctrl+v. Surely in the many queries I've copied this way I've copied parameter queries, and I've never had an issue. I'd try switching the original query to design view, then sql view and copying the sql. Paste the sql into a new query, switch to design view and modify as required.

Upvote 0
Micron - thank you for this. I copied the SQL statements to a new query and am now able to modify which saves me alot of time. This works although I still can't copy this new query using the Ctrl C/V shortcuts (this seems strange). Also, now in my new query in design view I am noticding that I cannot see any of my tables (I see them in the SQL view). Very strange...

Upvote 0
Why you cannot ctrl+c/v from the nav pane is a mystery to me. Not being able to see the tables is another weird thing, which I've seen before. It's usually because the db was last saved on a monitor with a much higher resolution. However, one fix I recall was to copy/paste the sql and you've done that. Unless your db (application) window could be messed up by some other monitor I have no idea why this would occur in a newly created query. Too bad you can't upload files here.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Postman24

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back