Access Query asking to enter parameters for field brought in through merge

Maggie Barr

Board Regular
Hello and thank yo u in advance if you can help.

I am using a PC, with Access 2019.

I ran a query, merged to another using unique identifier, relationship type 1, and brought in two fields, then, when I try to run the query, I get a pop up asking me to enter a parameter. I have run the same type query in another database and it didn't do this. I can remove the two fields I want, put in a different field, and it doesn't ask for a parameter. I am trying to bring in a Latitude and Longitude from a raw data file back into a query of data off the same file using a Global Unique Identifier. I can just click okay and the query will run, but the pop up is unnecessary and a little annoying, and I don't know why it is doing this. Does anyone have and ideas or suggestions why this might be happening? As I said, I used a similar merge in a different database to bring in the same field for another purpose, and it worked fine.
Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Maggie Barr

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Hello and thank yo u in advance if you can help.

I am using a PC, with Access 2019.

I ran a query, merged to another using unique identifier, relationship type 1, and brought in two fields, then, when I try to run the query, I get a pop up asking me to enter a parameter. I have run the same type query in another database and it didn't do this. I can remove the two fields I want, put in a different field, and it doesn't ask for a parameter. I am trying to bring in a Latitude and Longitude from a raw data file back into a query of data off the same file using a Global Unique Identifier. I can just click okay and the query will run, but the pop up is unnecessary and a little annoying, and I don't know why it is doing this. Does anyone have and ideas or suggestions why this might be happening? As I said, I used a similar merge in a different database to bring in the same field for another purpose, and it worked fine.
Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Maggie Barr
I missed my edit post window, but actually the fields when I click okay are coming through blank, despite that when I bring the identifier field, it is showing a match. The lat an long filed are populated in the base linked table I am using. without a parameter, it won't bring the data in for the records? I am so confused???

Upvote 0
Sounds like that parameter is required, as not data matches that empty parameter.?

The prompt comes up generally because you have a typo in a name or actually have a parameter defined in parameters or even criteria.?

I would be going back to the start and running through each step one at a time, to find out what it actually is.?

Upvote 0
welshgasman,
Thank you for your reply. I think it is something odd with the import to link to the txt file. I went in another database where I had linked to same file and fields I wanted, exported that as a txt file and linked to it in the other database and it worked. I have no idea why it wasn't working, but I found a temporary work around to get my work done, and I will just have to try it again without a deadline looming. Very odd indeed, but I appreciate your reaching out to try to help.
Best Wishes,
Maggie Barr, maybe someday I will develop a cool "handle" name for myself :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
richa mishra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back