Access query criteria

mopey12345

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi, help needed please. I am trying to add a form's combobox list as a drop down query criteria, but doesn't display the items just the string I'm adding to the criteria. Where
am I going wrong. Thanks in advance. Phil

Attachments

• access_combo.jpg
    access_combo.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 13

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
The form has to be open when you run that. Is it?
Why wouldn't the form also contain the surname control that you reference rather than using a parameter prompt?

Upvote 0
Solution
The form has to be open when you run that. Is it?
Why wouldn't the form also contain the surname control that you reference rather than using a parameter prompt?
Thanks for getting back. I'll give that a try. Regards Phil

Upvote 0
The prompt means that the criteria is unknown. If you have [Enter a name here] that's what the prompt will say, which is probably obvious to you as you intend to provide it. If you think that you've provided it (e.g. form field reference) and you get prompted, it still means it's unknown. Sometimes it's due to
- a spelling mistake in the criteria (such as in the name of the form or name of the control)
- the hierarchy of the reference to the form field is not correct; perhaps because control is on a subform
- the form is closed
- anything else one can think of that stumps Access when it tries to resolve what you've entered as criteria.

Upvote 0
The prompt means that the criteria is unknown. If you have [Enter a name here] that's what the prompt will say, which is probably obvious to you as you intend to provide it. If you think that you've provided it (e.g. form field reference) and you get prompted, it still means it's unknown. Sometimes it's due to
- a spelling mistake in the criteria (such as in the name of the form or name of the control)
- the hierarchy of the reference to the form field is not correct; perhaps because control is on a subform
- the form is closed
- anything else one can think of that stumps Access when it tries to resolve what you've entered as criteria.
Thanks again. I think you have spotted the error. The form was not open. Much appreciated. Regards Phil

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back