Access security

xenou

MrExcel MVP
Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
I am sure at some point in the near future I will think this is obvious ...

I'm planning on using a workgroup file to set up basic user groups and privileges, to prevent some of my users from making changes unwittingly or messing around in tables.

1) I'll have a form to use for adding records to a table;
2) I don't want my users to have direct access to the table;
3) I do want my users to be able to update the table with changes and new records;

My question: if I give my user Write access to the "form" (and thereby to the form's record source), will I still be able to deny Write access to the "table" (even though they can update the table using the form)?

Its funny that this strikes me as a contradiction - but then, I remember when x = x + 1 was a strange contradiction to me too...

Regards,
AB

(My main goal will be to force users to use a form because in fact, I want to have two tables updated - one which is a primary record of an asset, and the other which is the location of the asset, with dates - so that if it moves, I can still locate it in space/time for previous months. If users could update the tables directly, they may ignore this second table).

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
You don't deny write access to the table; you deny access to the table by doing one or more of the following:
1. Tools > Startup, and remove the tick from Show Database Container
2. BEFORE restarting the database, go into the container and hide the tables that you don't want them to play with. Not all tables; your users will get suspicious. Right-click the table, Properties, Hidden.

Then, back to Tools > Startup, and select a form that will launch when your users open the db.

If you need to see the tables / container at a later date, press F11

Denis

Upvote 0
I have done that on my DB I have even gone as far as reassigning the F11 key so the database window won't open. However the DB is still unsecure correct? If you have a proficient Access user he/she will likely know or could find out how to change these settings.

Has anyone tried the Security Tool?

Upvote 0
Simply lock the back-end data base and put a password on it.

Both files are still write enabled so your form can still update your records

But when users open up your backend they will be prompted to enter a password and be unable to use it.

Upvote 0
I have never locked just the back-end. How do you do that? I am using Access 2002 sp 3

Thank you.

Upvote 0
No problem, hopefully I can help you here..
For simple Microsoft Access security, set the database password from the Security item under the Tools menu in Access:

*Important*
Close the database. If the database is shared on a network, make sure all other users have closed the database or any changes will not apply.

Make a backup copy of the database, and store it in a secure place.

On the Tools menu, point to Security, and then click Set Database Password.

In the Password box, type your password. Passwords are case-sensitive.

In the Verify box, confirm your password by typing the password again, and then click OK.

The password is now set.

The next time you or any other user opens the database, a dialog box will be displayed that requests a password.

**Caution**
If you lose or forget your password, it can't be recovered, and you won't be able to open your database.

Do not use a database password if you will be replicating a database. Replicated databases can't be synchronized if database passwords are defined.

Notes

A database password is stored with the database and not with the workgroup information file.

You can't set a database password if user-level security has been defined for your database and you don't have Administer permission for the database.

Also, a database password is defined in addition to user-level security. If user-level security has been defined, any restrictions based on user-level security permissions remain in effect.

If a table from a password-protected database is linked, the password is cached (saved) in the database it is linked to when the link is established.
VBA passwords

To use the database password function in VB, use a value along with the "pwd" keyword to the SOURCE value of the OpenDatabase method:

<CODE> Dim db as DatabaseDim Wkspc as WorkSpacesDim strPass as STRINGstrPass = ";pwd=PASSWORD"Set Wkspc = Workspaces(0)Set db = Wkspc.OpenDatabase(DBName, False, False, strPass)</CODE></PRE>
I hope that this helps to solve your problem

Tony

Upvote 0
I keep getting told I need to have the database open for exclusive use. However, I don't see that as an option or arrow on the Open button.

Upvote 0
Close the database and open Excel independantly.

On the File menu, click Open.

Click the arrow to the right of the Open button, and then click Open Exclusive.

;)

**Didnt read your post properly - No green Arrow you say? What version are you using?**

** Also there are some images can be found here**
http://www.techonthenet.com/access/database/exclusive.php

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennimack

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back