ACCESS: Table Field equal another Field in the Same table

gheyman

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a list of Fields that MUST be in a Table. The data from this table is uploaded into another program. The Criteria for one of the fields is that it equals another field in the same table. Yes, I know repetitious. I am trying to figure out the best way to handle this situation. Can I make the default value in this field equal another field in the same table?? is there a formula I can put in the Default? Or do I need to handle this on the form with an Event? I would rather have a default value on the form if at all possible.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
If you have two fields in the same Table that MUST be equal to each other, what is the purpose of having two fields, instead of just that one?
Setting up fields in a table that are dependent upon other fields in the same table violates the rules of Data Normalization, and could cause database integrity issues and undermine data integrity.

Can you explain why you need two fields that hold the same value, instead of just having one field?
If we understand why you are trying to do this, we may be able to make suggestions.

Upvote 0
Joe;

I am using Access to create a form that makes it easier for the user to enter data. The data is going to be uploaded to another program (Deltek CostPoint). The GUI that Deltek has is horrible. Its in Excel and the data gets entered in several different tabs. Plus I have an issue of Multiple users - which Excel is not the best at handling. Therefore I am trying to make a better GUI using Access. Why Deltek has two fields that have the same data - I don't know. All I know is that my form has to have all the same fields that the Deltek GIU has. Several of their fields have a default value of another field. Why? I have no idea and way to find out why.

I am not using Access necessarily to store the data - its being used as GIU. I assume from your answer that the best way to handle this is on a form where the user will enter the data. I can create an event in that populates the "Duplicate" field when the first filed is changed/updated. I know it doesn't make sense to have the same data in two fields, but my task is

Upvote 0
So, are you exporting the data to Deltek, and that requires two fields with the same value?
If so, there is no need to have the same field twice in your Table, you can add the same Table field twice in your Query (and use the Query for your export).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back