accessing closed workbook

detlion1643

Board Regular
I am using VBA code to basically update my workbooks from 3 specific workbooks. I have a code that I put in every new workbook I make that runs when the workbook is opened. This code opens 1 workbook and looks for data, then closes and opens another and looks for data, then closes and once more.

Everything runs fine, but opening each workbook then closing it gets annoying, and not sure if it's slower. But, is there a way to access a workbook without opening it.

Right now:
workbook("NAME").open
workbook("ORIGINAL").activate
workbook("NAME").close
x3

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
Depending on how the data is structured in the closed workbooks (eg are they traditional data tables with headers in row1 and data below?) you could use querytables and/or ADO to extract the data.

Unless they are data tables, you aren't going to be able to search in them without opening them though.

Upvote 0
The closed workbooks do have headers in row1. Basically, I take x = cell.value in open workbook, then search the closed workbook in column a for a cell.value = x, then take the offsets of cell.value in the closed workbook and put them in the x offsets in the open workbook.

Hope that wasn't confusing!

Upvote 0
I've never used a Vlookup before (will certainly learn it), but from watching fellow employees use them, it really bogs down their machines. I was trying to think of a different way that might increase our efficiency?

Upvote 0
Hi
here is an example of doing vlookup from a closed file. It is simply a formula synthesized using VBA.
Code:
Path = "C:\export\coffee\"
Filename = "Original.xls"
Cells(1, 1) = "=Vlookup(F2,'" & Path & "[" & Filename & "]Sheet1'!A2:B100,2,false)"
Or
Code:
Cells(1, 1) = "=Vlookup(F2,'C:\export\coffee\[Original.xls]Sheet1'!A2:B100,2,false)"
It looksup F2 in sheet1 of original xls (closed) col A and corresponding col B value is pulled out
Ravi

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rohitsomani

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back