Accidentally saved over a file I need

dzmfntz

I need to retrieve a file that I saved over on accident. None of the data is the same and I need the original numbers. Can this file be saved???

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
Hate to say it, but as far as I know you're S.O.L.
I'll be keeping an eye peeled on this to see if there's a way to undo your save, but I'm not holding out a lot of hope.

Upvote 0
For future reference there's a program called, I believe, Go Back that will allow you to undo a file save...but yes, you're outof luck this time.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the resposnes. I've never heard of software like GoBack or whatever name it is. Would I need that installed prior to screwing up and that is why I am SOL this time?? Or is it something else?

Upvote 0
Nope; GoBack's gotta be up and running to work. If it's life-and-death, there are recovery firms you could contact.

Upvote 0
Here's a product endorsement:

What you should do is go out today and purchase a software program like Roxio GoBack to save you for the next time. I put this on my computer and for only $30 USD I cannot tell you how many times it has saved me. There are other GoBack-type products on the market that might work as well or better but my experience with Roxio has been excellent. Check out this url:
http://www.symantec.com/goback/

It won't help you today with this problem but it will help you the next time you override or delete a file if you put a utility software like this on your computer today.

Upvote 0
Doh!!! :oops: Thanks for the help. I am going to buy this right now as I have done this twice now and am sure to do it again.

Upvote 0
You could also make your files read only so that every time you save you will need to change the name. So your original file would stay unchanged.

Upvote 0
Keep in mind there are plenty of other reasons to install a GoBack feature, among them are downloading things you wish you didn't, or deleting a file (ReadOnly or not) from Windows Explorer, or reversing a save you wish you didn't make. Be aware, this will also make emails and everything else get "un-updated", so pre-save your settings before going back in time. Small price to pay for consideration to plan for when the trade-off is you don't lose all your hard-earned information by destroying a file.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BatCoder

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back