account number formula

biglb79

I'm not even sure what formula I could use or if it's even possible so I wasn't sure what subject to use, but I'm running a general ledger detail report and dumping it into excel. in column A it will have the account number followed by a various number of rows showing each transaction for the month in that account number. what I'm doing is inserting a new column so the account number will be on the left of the data. I'm currently going through the entire spreadsheet and copying/pasting each new account number next to the transactions associated with it. is there s a formula I could use that I just copy down the new column A showing each account number? the account numbers are formatted as xxxxx-xx-xx and the new account numbers will be listed on various rows. it just depends how many transactions before the next account number appears.

so currently column B contains account numbers, a number 13 for period 13 and blanks. if I could just have column A use the most recent account number in column B

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
hi what version of excel do you have and can you provide a screenshot or example of your data please

Upvote 0
I think it's Excel 97-2003 Workbook, at least that's what it's saved as when I export the data
hi what version of excel do you have and can you provide a screenshot or example of your data please
1612888428493.png

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back