Account Reconciliation - Eliminate Transactions

powelly

Hi All,

I've got a problem that I suspect has probably been asked before, but I can't find anything on it, so I'm starting a new thread.

I have a series of accounts which need to be reconciled. That is, an account may be made up of hundreds of transactions but the majority of them net to zero, so these need to be eliminated from the transaction listing, leaving only those transactions that directly make up the balance on the account. Some transactions may be equal and opposite, but more often we have 1 transaction being the equal and opposite of the sum of several others, in a many to one relationship.

I've made a simplified example of the problem, where a number of transactions are marked on a simple transaction listing as 'cleared', what I need to do is find a way, probably with some sort of VBA (I tried using solver, with no success), to identify which transactions can be cleared, and to mark them as such, when working with accounts with hundreds of rows.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jdGLnMTxAORpuO3jhYEcQbyb3yUsLazx/view?usp=sharing

Hope this makes sense, give me a shout if not.
Thanks,

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdnMech

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back