Activating Command Button

DeanC

Dear Moderator/Excel gurus',

RE- Command Button Activation.

I have a silly little question as a beginner to VBA.

I have followed the steps in MS Excel 2002 Visual Basic handbook to learn how to perform a macro throught the use of a command button.
I cannot however get the command button to accept my 'Click' it always goes to the 'select' mode and gives me the 4 (East, west north south) mouse, as if I am trying to resize it. The macro works fine if I goto the editor and run it from there! (I do have 3 other macros in the spreadsheet but they are generated from 3 Ctrl-' ' keys not a command button.)

I have obviously, missed some 'flag' or is there a special way of saving the worksheet in order that the command button becomes 'live' ...so to speak!

Many, Many thanks!

DeanC

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
Futher info to my request....

I open the spreadsheet that contains the Command button through a PERSONAL.xls marco.

After opening the above and going to the command button it shows me a select 4 aroowed mouse. If I then double click on the command button it takes me to the code. If I run the marco from the editor window it opens the file. If I delete the file that the marco just opend and go back to my spreadsheet the contains the Command button I no longer have the select mouse error that I had when I first opened the file.....javascript:emoticon('o_O')

Upvote 0
OOOoppppsss!

Does the 'Hammer' I just used mean banging on the table....(being demanding) or does it mean I'm banging MY head (which is what I thought it meant!)

Sorry if I have stepped on your toes!

It would be lovely to here from someone.

Regards,
DeanC

Upvote 0
G'day Dean, when you draw a control you are in Design Mode, so when you hover over the button you see the resize arrows rather than an action like running the macro. There should be an icon that has the image of a blue triangle, a pencil and a ruler - just click on this to get out of design mode. Once youve done that you can click on the button and it will run the Click event macro.

hth

PS The design mode icon is on the Control Toolbox so select View|Toolbars|Visual Basic if you have closed the toolbar.

Upvote 0
Hi Dean,

Re the three bumps in 20 minutes - yep, that counts as demanding (although your friendly tone helped!). People often use the 'view zero replies' to find unanswered posts, so a few bumps a day is usually enough.

Upvote 0
You haven't exited "Design" mode. Goto View-->Toolbars-->ControloToolbox and deselect it. It looks like a blue speed square in the left hand corner..

Hope that helps,

Smitty

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joaquim_Baptista

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back