ActiveSheet.Paste macro error

jschipporeit

In order to ultimately create a .prn file, I have to format my data in excel as custom, then copy & paste into notepad, then select all, copy & paste back into excel. The whole point of this is to take data formatted as custom (a normal '987654' looks like '00000987654') and get it into excel formatted as text but to keep all the zeros as placeholders.

Everytime my macro reachs ActiveSheet.Paste I get a "Run-time error '1004' Paste method of Worksheet class failed" error. These are very simple but necessary steps. Any guidance with this is GREATLY appreciated! My code is below:

Range("A1:A28").Select
Selection.Copy
Application.CutCopyMode = False
Sheets("Sheet3").Select
Range("A1").Select
ActiveSheet.Paste <---error occurs here!
Rows("29:50").Select
Selection.ClearContents
ActiveWindow.SmallScroll Down:=-42
Range("C1").Select

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.

pedie

In order to ultimately create a .prn file, I have to format my data in excel as custom, then copy & paste into notepad, then select all, copy & paste back into excel. The whole point of this is to take data formatted as custom (a normal '987654' looks like '00000987654') and get it into excel formatted as text but to keep all the zeros as placeholders.

Everytime my macro reachs ActiveSheet.Paste I get a "Run-time error '1004' Paste method of Worksheet class failed" error. These are very simple but necessary steps. Any guidance with this is GREATLY appreciated! My code is below:

Selection.Copy
Sheets("Sheet3").Select
Range("A1").Select
ActiveSheet.Paste <---error occurs here!
Selection.ClearContents
Range("C1").Select

try this:

Selection.Copy
Sheets("Sheet3").Select
Range("A1").Select
ActiveSheet.Paste
Selection.ClearContents
Range("C1").Select
Sub End

VoG

Legend
The error occurs because there is nothing to paste as as result of

Code:
Try

Code:
Range("A1:A28").Copy Destination:=Sheets("Sheet3").Range("A1")
Rows("29:50").ClearContents

jschipporeit

VoG,

Thank you for your reply. I thought that your solution had fixed my problem, but it turns out that it did not. Your fix does not have my data going through Notepad and therefore not coming back in as text. It fixes my error, but the data is not being formatted correctly.

I have to copy a column in excel (formatted as custom), open & paste into notepad, select all, copy and paste back into an excel template formatted as text. The purpose of these steps is to get '000123' (custom) to be '000123' as text.

Do you have any other ways that might help me out?!

Thanks for your help!

~Jen

philnotfil

Can't you just use the TEXT function for this?

=TEXT(cell reference, custom format) should return your custom number entries as text in the same format.

jschipporeit

Phil,

I am ultimately taking these '000123' numbers and saving them into a .PRN file so I don't believe I can do that with formulas.

Subscribe on YouTube

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lhmwnrexcel

This Week's Hot Topics