ActiveX Controls Warning Message

Peter Rattigan

Board Regular
I am building an application that uses Access2k as the frontend to collect a range of data then exports that to Excel using "transferspreadsheet".

In Excel I use a userform (tabbed control)to display the results with graphs etc. On one of the tabbed pages I have used a MS Office Spreadsheet Control 9.0 to display a formatted spreadsheet which loads each time the Workbook is opened. In Office 2000 this worked beautifully.

I then loaded the application on an Office 2003 PC and the fun starts. First. I find that the Spreadsheet contol is not there anymore and causes a code break. I searched through the Contol Toolbox Add-ins and can't find any reference to a MS Office Spreadsheet Control 9.0, just 10.0 and 11.0. So I add the 10.0 and run the code and the spreadsheet is loaded with data but does not mirror the formatting of the spreadsheet is is copying.

I need to make this application work on any machine I load onto but if the 10.0 or 11.0 dont format the same then it is not a good alternative.
Is there a an automatic way to add 9.0 to Office 2003 PC's? :confused:

The second problem on the 2003 system is that when the the code starts running on the workbook-Open event it now generates a message saying " This Application is about to initialize Active X controls that might be unsafe, do you wish to continue". I need to turn this off but can only find a reference on the MS site (Article ID 827742) to amending registry keys to stop it. Lowering security settings doesn't help. Is any one aware of a way of turning this off that can be automated for install on other PC's.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Actually I've just had a go at inserting that control in a dummy spreadsheet - it worked fine and I use XL2003 too. I had version 10.0 and 11.0 available too. It sounds like your computer doesn't have this component installed on it (or it's not registered properly). One for the IT help desk, methinks!

Upvote 0
The second problem on the 2003 system is that when the the code starts running on the workbook-Open event it now generates a message saying " This Application is about to initialize Active X controls that might be unsafe, do you wish to continue".

I am getting this message when trying to open a spreadsheet from another spreadsheet - is there a way to turn this off in my VBA code?
I am trying to use
Application.DisplayAlerts=False

But this doesnt work.
Any advice?
Thanks
Stuart

Upvote 0
Hi Stu

I ended up getting around this problem by going to the microsoft site using the error message as a search in google. MS have a fix that involves changing some registry keys. I was dabbling in an area that I didn't understand so I obtained some help from the local IT guru to do the changes and it worked. Good luck

Upvote 0
The following script changes the registry keys to make the active X control warning message go away. I have used it on quite a few PC's now and it works well. It just needs to be included in a folder and the file name extension changed to .REG. Double clicking the resultant Icon will install the fix. Hope this helps.

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Common\Security]
"UFIControls"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Common\Security]
"UFIControls"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VBA\Security]
"LoadControlsInForms"=dword:00000001

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back