Actual dates on graph axis

rvaiden

When I try to get actual dates as axis labels, I keep getting the "week of" date rather than the actual day. How do I set the axis to actuals, rather than assuming the week?

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
On 2002-09-25 06:40, rvaiden wrote:
When I try to get actual dates as axis labels, I keep getting the "week of" date rather than the actual day. How do I set the axis to actuals, rather than assuming the week?

Hi - not enough info to suggest a diagnosis. Care to post back with a little more detail about the dource data for your axis, how it's formatted, exactly what you're getting on your graph at the moment etc

Paddy

Upvote 0
On 2002-09-25 18:20, PaddyD wrote:
On 2002-09-25 06:40, rvaiden wrote:

Hi - not enough info to suggest a diagnosis. Care to post back with a little more detail about the dource data for your axis, how it's formatted, exactly what you're getting on your graph at the moment etc

Paddy

I am trying to do a scatter graph of pieces shipped by particular day. When I enter the actual dates of shipments as the x-axis, excel automatically scales the axis beginning with the week of the shipment, not the actual date that I would like on the axis label. I have gotten around the problem in the short term by converting the date format to a general format and finding the numeric code for the day I want, then entering that as the beginning of the axis scale. This solution seems cumbersome, and still does not really give me the axis labels I desire.

rvaiden

Upvote 0
Excel only groups the dates because it can't fit them all onto the x axis. Try making the graph as big as your screen will allow, changing the font size of the x axis to 8 or 6 or smaller and changing the alignment of the x axis labels to be vertical.

If you try all this and the graph still doesn't show all the dates then try using separate graphs for a smaller range of dates (ie a month or a fortnight at a time)

Upvote 0
Excel will try to guess the major and minor ticks for you (the date values shown)from its own default characteristics and format the graph accordingly. To remedy this, right click on one of the date values. This should allow you to set the axis properties. Depending on how Excel formated in the first place, you may see dates in the fields or the numerical equivalent for the date. Inn any event, change major and minor to 1. This will give you one tick for each date.

HTH, Tom
Regards

Upvote 0
On 2002-09-26 08:49, Tom@CPC wrote:
Excel will try to guess the major and minor ticks for you (the date values shown)from its own default characteristics and format the graph accordingly. To remedy this, right click on one of the date values. This should allow you to set the axis properties. Depending on how Excel formated in the first place, you may see dates in the fields or the numerical equivalent for the date. Inn any event, change major and minor to 1. This will give you one tick for each date.

HTH, Tom
Regards

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aivin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back